Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
From one comment from a Nokian in http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...-ui-and-specs/ I can see that the non-availability in US, Canada, UK, France, Spain, Italy, Brasil, Mexico, India is confirmed and that it will be sold via third-party channels.
I can see the idea behind: not confused consumer in big market between Meego and WP7 coming probably not long after N9 release.

But I feel sad because that really means that the N9 will have not much marketing, not big sales and that will justify the switch to WP7!
Hope that internet buzz will be enough to make bigger sales and to revise Nokia strategy and then to put a bit more towards Meego.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
can you post the dev's comment?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think you should go back to marketing school. I bet anything that about 75% of people stopped on the street won't know what "polycarbonate" means, ditto for "unibody". Bur they do know what "removable battery" means, though better is "user replaceable battery". Whole wars have been fought with Apple over these things.
i think it is pretty safe to say apple won that battle

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

As much as you all hate the N9. If you want to keep MeeGo going, your going to have to buy it and act like it's the best phone you've ever had so other people buy it. Do this and at least Nokia will have something modern to fall back on if NokiaWP crashes and burns.
+ If that does happen, then bye bye Elop.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
well Nokia is shutting its online stores for most them locations if not all. So makes sense not to be on the reminder list for most of them as 3rd party stores is only way to get Nokia devices in the future any way

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-06-22 at 14:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Stop thinking too much into the availability, the N9 is at least a couple of weeks away. And I bet Nokia are still in talks with the operators, UK and US are one of the first markets to get the phones anyway. It's not important, we'll find out in good time.

Anyway the HDMI over micro-USB sounds like a good idea? There is certainly enough bandwidth over USB2.0 to do this - but wether the inherent USB2.0 driver/firmware gets in the way is another issue.

I did however notice that the Nokia pages says 3.5mm AV jack and not just 3.5mm audio jack. Guessing it'll have TV-Out.

I don't use tv-out much so it's not a big deal, but the FM transmitter is definitely a deal breaker!

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
From one comment from a Nokian in http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...-ui-and-specs/ I can see that the non-availability in US, Canada, UK, France, Spain, Italy, Brasil, Mexico, India is confirmed and that it will be sold via third-party channels.
I can see the idea behind: not confused consumer in big market between Meego and WP7 coming probably not long after N9 release.
does third party channels include subsidised contracts from T-mobile/O2 etc?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Not just the UI, it turns out that proprietary is the "default approach" on all the bundled applications as well.

So you have an open Linux kernel, busybox, some libs etc but almost everything higher than that is closed and you can forget about patching bugs in the email client or whatever yourself. I'm really struggling to see how that is any better than WebOS for example.
I know. I know. I think it will take awhile for people to get over the excitement of the product announcement and comprehend the implications of this.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I know. I know. I think it will take awhile for people to get over the excitement of the product announcement and comprehend the implications of this.
been known ages quim stated it many times so not much of a surprise if people read what as been said by people like quim

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
does third party channels include subsidised contracts from T-mobile/O2 etc?
I have no idea. The guy just mentioned that the N9 will then be available via third-party channels.
Then my guess is that it means much less subsidy and no effort from Nokia to promote the N9 through the main operators.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????