Active Topics

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ USA & UK
just give me this phone in black w/a slide out qwerty and i give you $700

your move, mr elop

The Following User Says Thank You to ccarter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
well, maybe I need to add my 2 cents to this threat as well:
The N9 is IMHO the best phone ever done with open source. Yes, it does have "only" virtual key boards (and can have several of them installed at the same time and you can just swipe from one to the other language plus Swype). Yes, it's main orientation is portrait (and landscape is supported when it matters such as camera, messaging, email, browser...). Yes, the browser is "only" superb in HTML5 (but it is the first time you'll find webkit2 on board in open device).

I'm sure you will find all the things we built in for those that love open source including the option to install apps from other sources than the official store.

Last edited by Peter@Maemo Marketing; 2011-06-21 at 06:03.

The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
check this video out its in Finnish but its a real hands on and he goes deep into thing. 6 minutes long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GmCxWwKcIs
in english : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZss...&feature=feedu

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chase15 For This Useful Post:
Some things I can probably say now:

- Yes, this is really more like an open, smarter iPhone than a N900 successor. Take it or leave it. But please don't assume that everyone on this site has the same preferences. There are many people here who value Maemo's openness, the Linux roots, or just it's overall coolness, but still want a phone that simply does the job very well without being specifically targeted towards geeks and hackers. Of course you'll still be able to hack it to your heart's content.

- Why MeeGo? Simple, this phone couldn't have been done with WP7 at this point! That is the strength of MeeGo, being able to do something new and somewhat different like this. Maybe its ideas will be incorporated into WP7 devices in the future (I hope so), but I don't expect that to be a quick process.

Sure, you won't have hundreds of thousands of apps for the N9 anytime soon, but not everyone needs that either. For those who don't, or who can live with a reasonable number of quality apps, the N9 out of the box provides an excellent, unique experience that _no_ other phone can deliver right now. It may also well be the only one of its kind. Ever.

- This phone is not about the specs. Having the fastest CPU is really not all that relevant in the grand scheme of things. With the N9, the star is not the hardware or the software alone, the star is the team. It is little details, which define the overall experience. For example, the fairly large bezel was mentioned a few times. This bezel is completely smooth curved glass, which provides the necessary surface to conveniently swipe from the outside of the screen. Without the swipe gesture, the bezel would just be wasted space, with the swipe gesture it becomes an integral part of the experience. That is one little example of how everything fits together, and you really can't judge the N9 as a sum of its parts.

- The N9 is much higher profile than the N900 ever was in Nokia, and even the N900 wasn't that horrible to live with overall now, was it? You can be certain that the N9 will receive more attention (both from Nokia, and the developer community), whether there will ever be a successor or not. If that is good enough for you or you'd rather put up with a lesser device with plenty of apps, that is up to you.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
in english : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZss...&feature=feedu
LAG!
/10char

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ USA & UK
So is there a patent for this new ''slide'' $hit then ??!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
no

i dont give a **** about HTML5 - i give a **** about what I can watch/listen to NOW on this phone.

until every web flash media stream is replaced by HTML 5, your point is irrelevant.
if it has a decent mediaplayer it should be no problem!

flash != movie. its just a broken crap containerformat on top of some flash and should die! simple is that! no copmany should support this kind of **** anyway.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
LAG!
/10char
use maemo not iOS..

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
so if i see correct in these videos, even the multitasking is ****ed up, cause when he swipes the movie in the background it stops playing. that's no real multitasking there surprise, surprise!

Thats a lot of words to say

1. OS is open.
2. Has a Good UI.
3. MAY get more support (haha) then n900

On no. 3 - I will believe it when I see it. Higher profile ? who cares - until I SEE the support/updates I will not believe Nokia. N900 taught me that.

No way I will buy this now.

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Some things I can probably say now:

- Yes, this is really more like an open, smarter iPhone than a N900 successor. Take it or leave it. But please don't assume that everyone on this site has the same preferences. There are many people here who value Maemo's openness, the Linux roots, or just it's overall coolness, but still want a phone that simply does the job very well without being specifically targeted towards geeks and hackers. Of course you'll still be able to hack it to your heart's content.

- Why MeeGo? Simple, this phone couldn't have been done with WP7 at this point! That is the strength of MeeGo, being able to do something new and somewhat different like this. Maybe its ideas will be incorporated into WP7 devices in the future (I hope so), but I don't expect that to be a quick process.

Sure, you won't have hundreds of thousands of apps for the N9 anytime soon, but not everyone needs that either. For those who don't, or who can live with a reasonable number of quality apps, the N9 out of the box provides an excellent, unique experience that _no_ other phone can deliver right now. It may also well be the only one of its kind. Ever.

- This phone is not about the specs. Having the fastest CPU is really not all that relevant in the grand scheme of things. With the N9, the star is not the hardware or the software alone, the star is the team. It is little details, which define the overall experience. For example, the fairly large bezel was mentioned a few times. This bezel is completely smooth curved glass, which provides the necessary surface to conveniently swipe from the outside of the screen. Without the swipe gesture, the bezel would just be wasted space, with the swipe gesture it becomes an integral part of the experience. That is one little example of how everything fits together, and you really can't judge the N9 as a sum of its parts.

- The N9 is much higher profile than the N900 ever was in Nokia, and even the N900 wasn't that horrible to live with overall now, was it? You can be certain that the N9 will receive more attention (both from Nokia, and the developer community), whether there will ever be a successor or not. If that is good enough for you or you'd rather put up with a lesser device with plenty of apps, that is up to you.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland