Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Sorry for the delay - I've been out; here are the fcam-drivers (version 1.0.7.2), they should work with both the latest kernel-power and kernel-bfs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
If I'm installing it over kernel-power which deb do I download?

Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
If I'm installing it over kernel-power which deb do I download?
the kernel deb, the flasher and the modules did suffice for me.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
I've installed the kernel deb, flasher and module plus the bootimg deb, so i have 3 choice in the multiboot.

I've just rebooted the phone with the bfs kernel, i wanna test for a few days before saying that is faster.

-10bfs6 is highly stable and rock solid. I've been hammering on it and am extremely happy with performance.

Last edited by hawaii; 2011-06-01 at 03:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
First impression are very positive, i'm having much more responsiveness in launching and switching from an application to another. I see benefit also in web browsing with Opera, but i need more test on this.

Also, i've installed i applied the patch in Ubuntu Natty kernel, so also on desktop i see more responsiveness.

Seems a very good scheduler ... I think that this should be packaged in extras-devel.

I'm having some problems lately and I don't know yet if they are related to the swap settings or the schedtool settings I've taken from here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=175

First I was really impressed by the performance of the BFS kernel. Switching apps, browsing the web while playing music and doing other stuff worked really smooth. It wasn't long though until tried the swap and schedtool settings mentioned in the post above and now I have some really strange performance issues:

When doing some I/O heavier stuff, like updating the package list in FAM, starting an application or downloading from the web, it is getting completely unresponsive for a couple of minutes. Interestingly enough at the same time conky shows me very low CPU usage.

Today I was browsing TMO on microb when suddenly the phone got completely unresponsive for a few minutes. Then it immediately got back to normal showing me a missed call. So it was so unresponsive that neither the call UI popped up nor the ringtone or the vibration kicked in.

Just now I wanted to check my Swappolube settings to post them here and it took minutes for the Swappolube GUI to load leaving the phone completely unresponsive. Now a few minutes later the app was up and running and responsiveness was back to normal.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on here?

EDIT: Checking a bit further with Conky and stuff it definitely seems to be an I/O problem. Right now I'm installing the latest qmltube update in FAM and it's taking already about 10 minutes while it's still in the download stage (which should already be complete though). Interestingly though CPU is at the lowest clock and running at a load of 4% to 12% which shows that the CPU has not much to do. The average system loads however are above 6 or even at 7 some times so there are clearly many processes waiting to be done, which leads me to believe they're waiting for I/O. Swap usage is also relatively high at almost 300MB but that doesn't indicate much. What could that be?

Last edited by MONVMENTVM; 2011-06-01 at 14:38.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
That's not so good. Could you please post your vm settings, in particular (mine are in brackets):

/proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio (8)
/proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio (4)
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness (0)
/proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure (1000)
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory (2)
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio (100)
/proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task (1)
/proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes (4096)

It's probably also worth checking the /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue settings, such as read_ahead_kb (512), nr_requests (32) and scheduler (cfq). I have tweaked the iosched folder settings underneath that to match the ones posted by freemangordon here (my page_cluster is the default of 5 however and I don't think nr_requests needs to be so high). Finally I have some schedtool settings too but I doubt they would help to fix your problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by Tigerite View Post
That's not so good. Could you please post your vm settings, in particular (mine are in brackets):

/proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio (8)
/proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio (4)
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness (0)
/proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure (1000)
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory (2)
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio (100)
/proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task (1)
/proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes (4096)

It's probably also worth checking the /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue settings, such as read_ahead_kb (512), nr_requests (32) and scheduler (cfq). I have tweaked the iosched folder settings underneath that to match the ones posted by freemangordon here (my page_cluster is the default of 5 however and I don't think nr_requests needs to be so high). Finally I have some schedtool settings too but I doubt they would help to fix your problems.
Can you post benchmark result with dd please? Freemangordon's setting isn't working on my device the results are worst.

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-06-01 at 19:09.

OK I'm not 100% sure but I think I found the problem. I didn't run into these issues again until now but I'll have to test it tomorrow.

So after installing the BFS kernel I also decided to try schedtool and your swap settings so I also installed swappolube. (I tweaked the settings in /etc/init.d/rc$ before but I wanted to tinker around again and it seemed more comfortable that's why I went for it.)

Anyway in Swappolube laptop_mode was enabled, which I guess was the culprit. I don't think that it makes much sense to use with flash storage as it is basically related to the spin down of hard drives and makes writes bursty. That explains why downloading makes the device unresponsive for a couple of minutes while the cpu is actually idle and doing nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to MONVMENTVM For This Useful Post: