Active Topics

OK...I have installed PDAnet (and installed the latest firmware on the N800). However, it doesn't seem to work. I have PDAnet set as Mode=Dialup and Port=Bluetooth. The two devices pair up but don't connect. PDAnet says: "Unable to establish connection with your PC (code=779)".

Aaargh.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Denver, CO
Mailbye,
I had the same problem with a diffrent phone and I fixed it. I only pay 25$ a month for Verizion TV and VCAST. I hacked the phone and it works great with the N800. Look hereI wrote up simple instructions for setiing up a LG VX9400 verizon. Some where in the instruciton it tells you how to setup NAM.

OK...Googled PDAnet and it says that the "PC" has to be running some flavor of Windows. That pretty much leaves me out since both my laptop and the N800 are running Linux. However, one of the original posters apparently got this working with an N800, though their Treo is the WIndows version.... ???? What's the straight story on it?

Thanks

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Palm devices.

With the Windows Mobile PDAnet, you install it and then you have an option on the PDAnet phone app to enable Bluetooth DUN. Once that's done, then I just tell the N800 to use GPRS, dial #777 and don't give it any username or password.

I think the part about have a PC running windows is if you want to offer the PC connectivity throught he phone via tethering/sync. At least it's that way for the Windows Mobile PDA net version.

Hmmm...well, PDANet doesn't seem to be working for me. I had forgotten to select the Treo in the "Phone" setting after flashing the latest OS and restoring everything. After I did this, I was back to where I was before...they'd connect, but I'd get "remote server error" with no username/passwd, or "Authentication failed" with.

There must be something simple I'm missing here in regard to PDANet. The Palm version has four options: Mode (Dialup or Proxy), Port (Bluetooth or USB), "Auto Connect on Startup" and "Remain Connected on Exit". I have it set to "Dialup" and "Bluetooth". There are no dropdown menus available - at least, I can't find 'em.

I'm sure I'm close...any further help would be appreciated.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
My only guess is that for some reason Treo is using some sort of standard built-in DUN rather then PDAnets version. You wouldn't be able to authenticated with the standard Treo/VZW DUN. But honestly I really have no experience with Treos/Palm/PDAnet. Could it be the Palm version of PDAnet doesn't offer up BT DUN services? Just connecting via BT sync with a PC?

It might be worth a shot e-mailing June Fabrics to tell them what you are trying to do. They've been very resposive to me in the past.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Well, this is the reply I got back:

Hi Bob

The Palm version of PdaNet does not support Bluetooth DUN since it will
conflict with the build-in feature. Only the Windows Mobile version of PdaNet
Supports Bluetooth DUN.

Thanks,
June Fabrics PDA Software Support
http://www.junefabrics.com
So, I guess I'm SOL. Yet, obviously some of you guys have it working with a 700p. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Colorado, US
I wrangled my Nokia 6256 around for a while based on posts here and on Howard Forums before I found the right combo -

I selected "none" as the carrier,
selected "Data Call" instead of GPRS or WLAN,
entered #777 as the number to call,
used "qnc" as the username and password.

It's slow, but it works over bluetooth. I don't have EVDO on my phone, so I think that is why it maybe asks for different inputs than the other devices.

Originally Posted by Montag View Post
I wrangled my Nokia 6256 around for a while based on posts here and on Howard Forums before I found the right combo -

I selected "none" as the carrier,
selected "Data Call" instead of GPRS or WLAN,
entered #777 as the number to call,
used "qnc" as the username and password.

It's slow, but it works over bluetooth. I don't have EVDO on my phone, so I think that is why it maybe asks for different inputs than the other devices.
Montag:

Thanks, gave it a try, but still no go. The N800 and the Treo connect via Bluetooth, the little computer icon appears on the phone, but there's still an "authentication error" when I tried "qnc" as both the username and password, and "Remote server error" when I enter it as the username only.

Bah.

Thanks for the try, anyway.
Bob