View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
We might also want to consider an opt-in/opt-out filter. People who haven't opted-out (and possible not logged in users, e.g. search engines) will get swearwods filtered out *on-the-fly*, i.e. while serving the page.

Users who have opted-out of the filter will get the "raw" content.
Interesting idea, however I fear that the forum SW does not fold to that easily...
It sure is possible to do something like that but might require rewriting a lot of code!

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I think we'll soon be ready to organize an election, if only for the fück of it. Oops.

Based on the strong reaction of community to this topic I know we now need an election.
Agree. I would vote for optional filter. However, I would prefer to have the swear words filtered on server-side, not on client side, to avoid browser-compatibility issues. Besides, in case of server-side filtering, we do not need to re-write the swear-word-filter-code: was on server, stays on server. We just need to make sure that the opt-in-or-opt-out works.

The "optimal" way to do it, would when message is taken from database and converted into webpage by server: depending on the request (opted in or opted out), a different swearwords list would be applied. Switching between different lists (empty list and full-list) would be easier than switching off filter altogether. And would allow for more flexibility, should some time in the future users request to have personal swearwords lists.

Of course, I don't know how current server-side code works. If it applies filter before saving message to database (en route from writer to database), old swears may never be recovered (alas, sarcastic), and (more importantly) it would be difficult to change server-side code to apply filter to message en route from database to reader.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: