Yo!

I really can't think of much more I'd want from my IT (software-wise) that isn't available in one form or another out there. Is there anything you guys would like to see ported to or created for the ITs? Just wanted to know because I have been learning a bit of Python and I think I can remember a little C++, but I can't think of anything to create that would be of any use

Ideas are appreciated!

- Ty

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
A brain training game.

It would be nice.

Rgs.

Some cooler games? Blob wars? Cube? Would they be easy to port?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
A good offline RSS reader. (How about porting Liferea? It's gtk based. There are a couple other *nix rss readers that they recommend on that page too.)

Current options are quite limited..

Built in RSS reader.
Pros: simple, preinstalled, has desktop applet, split pane view.
Cons: Very limited features and customization. There's a bug that may delete your rss list.

Claws mail w/ RSS plugin.
Pros: More configuration, good features.
Cons: no split view, can not be configured to (pre)download linked images for offline browsing.

PS: Is there a version of scrabble for NIT?

Last edited by ysss; 2007-09-23 at 19:26.

Alright, well...

Blob wars compiling is mussed, we'll hafta see

The RSS Reader I will have to look into, but it's a good idea, and I have not seen scrablle around...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The shipped RSS Reader is based on Liferea. Many of the IT OS "value-add" applications over and above the Maemo core are based on existing open source projects:

RSS Reader <- Liferea
E-Mail <- Sylpheed
Media Player <- Helix Player

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
One thing I would like to have for the Nokia N800 is a Bible Reader where you can look up the Strong's numbers and maybe a few commentaries.

Believe it or not there is a command line Bible for Linux, http://dvc.org.uk/sketches/brs.html , that I think is really neat. There is also a Gnome front end for it here, http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/gnome-bible/ . Sometimes I like to get back to the basics and use the command line utilities, although the GUI counterparts somtimes makes more sense.

I know Rapier is out but it is a little slow and I cannot look up Strong's number, or least I haven't figured out how to yet. Also I'm aware of Thummim, but this does not have Strong's numbers for it.

I am not a programmer and I do not know how to program yet, other than some simple shell and perl scripts. But do like checking out how different programs work. If there is anything I can assist with in getting this accomplished let me know.

Last edited by dan67sf; 2007-09-23 at 19:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to dan67sf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Newton-like handwriting recognition (with multilingual and cursive options)
The equivalent of the Newton Notes program (ask me about it)
Fully functional Abiword
Easy flat-file database, preferrably a clone of the Psion's Data
LyX (would need GhostScript as well)
"Normal" Firefox (as in: Fully functional)
Painting program like ArtRage
A "resume last file", or even better: "resume last X files", option in mplayer
Easy middle- and right-click emulation (so that I can open ITT threads each in their own tab)

I have lots more, but those are the urgent ones. When can I expect the programs to be ready?

Ok, of course I started with the easiest thing first

Bible Reader for the command line: http://itablet.co.nr/bible_1.0-1_armel.deb

Blob Wars will not compile because SDL is being a *****, so I will have to see if I can find a way around this little problem... Liferea is being looked at

And Karel, those are huge... But, I'm thinking I could get Firefox over, and maybe muss with mplayer a bit, but it'll take a little time.

My biggest need is a fully-functional abiword that will rw .doc files. The most functional option now is 2.2.7 ported to the 770--but it is fairly easy to crash - the 2.4.6 version direct from abisource is unusable it is so unstable. I read that megabyte405 is working on this- so you might want to check first- but to me this is a critical need. I use it (or try) every day.

Thanks for asking! K.