Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
After a long bike ride, where I do my best thinking ( it worked for Einstein and Albert Hoffman ), my issue with Sailfish is generally that the right amount of resources aren't being applied in the right areas. I am of course using my definition of 'right'.

Jolla aren't going to do this. They do not have sufficient resources and their priorities do not match mine.

Together.jolla.com isn't working for me. Jolla largely ignore it, anything that requires resources isn't given them for numerous quite possibly valid reasons and 'niche' requirements get trampled over, especially if it becomes an ideological debate.

I really do want to see an alternative to iOS and Android and I think it's a pity Jolla are under resourced.

So, I'd like to pull a team together on Bountysource.com at https://www.bountysource.com/teams/nemomobile and raise some cash to directly reward developers for fixing issues. I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is and want to kick off the funding with $500

My priorities are to get CalDAV and CardDAV support working a) at all and b) reliably with Apple's iCloud service. So that's the buteo sync framework plugins essentially.

I'd also like to see SIP integrated but that is possibly tricky if we can't patch it into Jolla's accounts UI.

How about it?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Any takers or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I'm not a Jolla user, but this might be a useful platform if the TMO community/council were to ever implement a more organized bounty system--not just for Jolla, but for the various flavors of maemo too...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, a lack of resources is an often quoted excusereason for this or that not being implemented or fixed on Jolla. Yes, I also find TJC... err.. let's say a bit less helpful than I expected. Most times things just disappear down it like into a black hole, other times you get beaten to the pulp for daring to suggest that something might be done better than how holly Jolla designed it, and the rest turns into an ideological debate for some mysterious reason.

It is a sad irony that at least twice in the past month, I got a real answer to my Jolla problem here on TMO, having of course asked on TJC first. It is like getting a BMW-related help on a VW forum.

On the other hand... I have never heard of Bountysource. When I saw your post in Active Topics, I initially just skipped it as "yet another thing I don't care about", along with topics like, let's see, anything to do with Whatsapp, for example. I would have missed it completely if it wasn't for my habit to clean my TMO "unread posts list" from time to time by going to New Posts and at least jumping to the last page of every thread on the list.

Another thing... I followed your link to Bountysource and guess what I saw? "Note: Donations are disabled because this team has no members." Also, the Issues tab lists a few things but there isn't much traffic. Issues are generally a few months old and with no votes.

So... I really don't know. If it gets off the ground then yes, you can count on my support. But I am not the one to want to beat a dead horse.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Pichlo highlights a problem that I'm hoping can be solved.

The list of issues and problems are mostly raised by users on TJC. Developers mostly stay away from TJC. They're dropping in to TMO as it's less noisy or on irc, especially for the open source bits.

The code is on github, with issue trackers that aren't well used because you've got to know what component to raise an issue against and in any case TJC is where we're supposed to do everything 'together'. TJC however doesn't connect with the source on github and doesn't offer payment as an incentive to fix. Instead we have a broken voting system. Jolla apparently has their own internal bug tracker we can't see - that's fine. I'm not looking to upset that.

So, I asked the question on TJC over a year ago about how best to Crowdfund development...

https://together.jolla.com/question/...g-development/

A couple of people chimed in with other projects that use Bountysource.

It does require connecting a few things up - mostly people - but it is a funding platform that is tied to issues and the source. Obviously Jolla's bits aren't all open sourced hence I think this has to be part of Nemo. Again, correct me if it should be Mer or SailfishOS or something else.

Nemo has no members because 'the team' is not signed up to the idea yet. You can fund issues directly rather than the project as a whole. That's what I'm interested in as I wouldn't fund a WhatsApp plugin even indirectly. With no offence to the developers who have been funded through indiegogo already, I'm not going to fund you open-endedly. You might take my money and write a Facebook client (utterly no interest to me).

So, I want to formulate some issues to raise on github against the correct component and then I'm going to issue a bounty, using bountysource. They're going to have to be fixed in Nemo and then Jolla picks it up in Sailfish, I think.

Unless someone else has a better idea.

Surely it can't be beating a dead horse or are all the possible Mer/Nemo developers working at Jolla and quite happy being salaried?

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, social services