Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France

PyGTKEditor is a text editor with a small screen footprint, fast syntax highlight based on GtkSourceView, fullscreen capable, regulars expressions search and many more other things specially designed for onboard developpers. PyGTKEditor was mainly an editor for python developper, but it s now open to all other language like c/c++, ruby, java, php and many more.

PyGTKEditor 2.0 is licenced under GPLv2 and work only with Chinook(ITOS 2008). This new version also require GtkSourceView and his binding for Python

PyGTKEditor 1.3.0 is licenced under GPLv2 and work with Chinook(ITOS 2008), Bora(ITOS 2007) and Gregale(ITOS 2006)

PyGTKEditor

I'm open to any suggestions.

Last edited by Khertan; 2007-12-27 at 16:44.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Yo!

I'd LOVE to try this out, but... I can't seem to find the download link...

Oups ... there is a problem with my web site ...

EDIT : Bug corrected. Thanks for the report.

Last edited by Khertan; 2007-08-28 at 12:19.

A new version of PyGTKEditor is available (1.1.0).

CHANGES :

Many bugs fix and some improvements :

Bug fix : Launch toolbar button : pathfile was not quoted, so launching don t work with space in pathfile.
Bug fix : Recent Open menu refresh now correctly.
Bug fix : Parser are now working also when file contain unknow utf8 code.
Bug fix : close all windows by click on close button in the right hand corner does now register file to recents file
Optimization : copy/paste/cut do not relaunch syntax hilighting function for all the file, but only modified text.
Optimization : Better unsaved file handler
Feature : Added Open all menu item to open all files despite their location. Usefull to acces the home user directory and not home/MyDocs
Feature : Mac and Windows end line are now automatically converted to linux end line.

http://khertan.net/pygtkeditor.php

Khertan this looks like an excellent program. I have not had much time to use it but i think your program is one of the most valuable programs available.

Python/gtk is the closest thing the N800 has to a 'native' language and you have created a development environment for just that. You've got the gtk (not hildon) file browser which supports the full filesystem (not just home dir), you've got a 'Test/Run' command, and keyword highlighting.

I think the whole 'loading a VM with scratchbox dev environment' is really on neccessary for porting existing applications... new apps could much more easily be written in simply python/gtk script.

Not sure how much effort you are willing to continue development, but i would like to make some requests :

How difficult would it be to simulate a Python Repository within your program... perhaps on your website you could devote a Virtual directory for storing a library of python programs people could download/run and more importantly : view the source code for ideas about copy/pasting into their own programs. If you did not want to act as such an intermediary then others, including myself, could do this but might be good to just have 1 hardcoded repository at first.

Code clips : would be nice to store common used pieces of code to plug in to hombrew scripts. Each person could compile their own libraries... although possibly this could be web-enabled to pull from a http dir as well.

Glade? Dont know too much about this and this might be too much work for you but it could be another utility. I think Glade is a way to define screens layout using xml... a glade designer for n800 could allow you to layout a form by picking from a set of controls. This probably would not be wysiwyg but at least simple enough to see list of controls and properties (?) like control name and location.

Lastly, if you would be so kind could you recreate a simple example in Python script for invoking the GTK filechooserdialog (like your program uses in the open/all option) ? I have been trying to use the gtk.FileChooserDialog but have been unsuccessful. Perhaps a simple script to pick a file and message box the filename? Warning, the example i tried left the Dialog modal (wouldnt close) and it was system modal so i had to reboot to anything else (couldnt kill task).

Thanks again for this utility, even if you dont enhance it any further i think you have created a great utility to bring/unlock development capabilities on the 770/n800!

Hi,

I've just see your post. A bit late

How difficult would it be to simulate a Python Repository within your program... perhaps on your website you could devote a Virtual directory for storing a library of python programs people could download/run and more importantly : view the source code for ideas about copy/pasting into their own programs. If you did not want to act as such an intermediary then others, including myself, could do this but might be good to just have 1 hardcoded repository at first.
It's a great idea ... i ll thought about it when i ll get some times.

Code clips : would be nice to store common used pieces of code to plug in to hombrew scripts. Each person could compile their own libraries... although possibly this could be web-enabled to pull from a http dir as well.
I've ported a code snippet manager for maemo 'PySnippet'. You can found it on my web site too. But adding a pull/push to a web directory could be a good idea. But it will need some moderation. But why not ...

Glade? Dont know too much about this and this might be too much work for you but it could be another utility. I think Glade is a way to define screens layout using xml... a glade designer for n800 could allow you to layout a form by picking from a set of controls. This probably would not be wysiwyg but at least simple enough to see list of controls and properties (?) like control name and location.
Glade is coded in c ... and i don't have many time to port c application because i mainly code in the train. So i ven't all the library on my n800 to compile glade with gcc.

Lastly, if you would be so kind could you recreate a simple example in Python script for invoking the GTK filechooserdialog (like your program uses in the open/all option) ? I have been trying to use the gtk.FileChooserDialog but have been unsuccessful. Perhaps a simple script to pick a file and message box the filename? Warning, the example i tried left the Dialog modal (wouldnt close) and it was system modal so i had to reboot to anything else (couldnt kill task).
Hum ... how to say ... i'm at this time creating a small onboard packager and i have exactly the same problem ... the filechooser call is identical to the one on pygtkeditor. So i don't know why button ok and cancel doen't work. But i'm working on it, and once i ve the answer i ll post it. But you can cancel the dialog with the return hard key button.

Thanks again for this utility, even if you dont enhance it any further i think you have created a great utility to bring/unlock development capabilities on the 770/n800!
Thanks i'm happy that pygtkeditor is usefull for other people than me.

Ps : be carreful there are a bug on the syntax highlighter after the paste toolbutton. I ve fixed it for the next update wich will be available at last the 10 September.

Do you have close the dialog ?

With a dialog.destroy() after the dialog.run() ?

Because i ve forgotten this and this was my problem.

A new version of PyGTKEditor is available. It's mainly a bug fix release.

Thanks i'll try that later today, along with pysnippet and pygtkeditor update

Don't forget to try PyPackager once your dev is ready