Active Topics

Hi

I have setup my N770 email client so I can access/read my Gmail, and configured it to 'Leave email on server' so I can download the email properly when I get on my home PC.

The thing is, when I check my email on the 770 it is removing it from the server anyway, meaning the only copy I have is on the tablet.

Anyone know why this would be?

thanks

Sam

Can you tell me the settings you have as I tried to install Google mail on mine and It didn't want know at all thanks..

Sure, just add a new POP3 account with servers as follows...

Incoming: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com

I do not have the 'connection specific' box ticked.

In Advanced:
Retrieval tab: Password authentication is 'Normal', Security is 'SSL (POP3S)'
Sending tab: SMTP authentication is 'Login'

Think that's all you need, let me know if you managed to get the emails to stay on the server too!

I have tried that when I click gt mail I get authentication to pop.gmail.com filed please check account server settings for google

on the gmail settings page and the forwarding & pop there is a section near the bottom which asks what you want to happen to the messages after they have been passed on to your tablet, if its on archive the message then the mail just goes into the archive mail section of your google mail account

Thanks for the tip GBM. I checked and it was set to 'Archive', and there were the missing emails!

MILLWALL: I forgot to say, double check your port settings...

Retrieval needs to be 995 (you might need to scroll down slightly to see the field)
Outgoing needs to be 465

Also, depending on when you opened your account, you might to put 'pop.googlemail.com' not pop.gmail.com

As GBM mentioned, go to your Gmail account settings online (not in the tablet email client) and there is help on configuring email clients.

sorted it thanked everyone another little problem sorted

Do you have Trouble sending email does it take a long time ??

I find that if I set the Nokia 770 to retrieve 'Messages and Attachments' rather than headers only , and then select 'Leave messages on server' things work as they should . I can then do as I please with the messages . They remain on the Google server , in my inbox as normal . When deleting them on the 770 I am presented with the option of deleting them from '770 only' or '770 and server' this gives me great flexibility in my message handling .

Pity the email client is as lame as it is ... I tried Claws Mail but found that no better , if not actually worse . I personally would like to se the Opera browser include the same mail client as it does on the Mac/Pc , I really like the idea of one window with both email and web together .

Any ideas how to change sounds within Pidgin (using MSN)? I click Preferences and sounds but I am not pointed at Pidgin sounds. The defualt tone is very quiet and (unless very close) I cant hear when a new message comes in.

Thanks.