Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi there, so my N800 battery would say it's charging but then last only a couple hours on standby. So I figured ok, no problem...my battery is just bad. I
purchased a brand new battery and the exact same thing is happening. Please
I need ideas here. I do love my n800 and now can't really use it because it
won't hold a charge. BTW, it will say it has fully charged then I unplug and leave
on my counter and low and behold after like 2 hours it starts giving me the
low battery sound.

Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
Maybe it isn't an issue of the battery charging, and is an issue of the tablet not powering down for standby properly? Try using it right after a charge and seeing how long it lasts under use?

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
I used to have a similar issue. I installed osso-statusbar and realized that my CPU usage was abnormally high, about 80%. Depending on how many applications I have running on my N800 the normal utilization is around 10%-20%.

My CPU usage was high because of the metalayer-crawler process was using about 70% of the CPU which was causing the battery to drain alot quicker. I would suggest installing osso-statusbar, or if you have xterm installed you can do a top, either way see if there is a high CPU usage and if so see if there is one process that is using most of the CPU. If a process is taking most of the CPU and depending on the what the process is depends on what steps to take next.

The Following User Says Thank You to dan67sf For This Useful Post:
Hrm....some things to think about. Yes, it seems like it's usual self if I'm using it. Normally, I haven't had to charge it except for maybe every couple days.

I am just downloading osso-xterm and osso-statusbar...and it is downloading
EXTREMELY slow. Weird...since my wi-fi connection is just fine. I did upgrade
the firmware maybe 6 weeks ago, but this thing with the charging/not holding a charge started happening maybe 3 weeks ago.

The application manager download status bar also doesn't seem to be working properly. Is that latest firmware buggy?

Thanks for any help and info. I love my n800 I'd really had to have something bad happen to it.

Okie...just ran top and looks like maemo launcher is taking up a ton of cpu.

I'm not real great with unix. So thanks for any advice you can give me.

I also can't seem to figure out how to run osso-statusbar-cpu...it says it installed, but is not showing up in any menus and does not seem to run in xterm from a command-line.

Last edited by Ariel222; 2007-08-17 at 20:24.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Somewhere, most of the time.
To enable osso-statusbar go to the control panel double tap on "Navigation" tap on the "Status Bar" tab then make sure "Graph Plugin" has a checkmark by it. Also there should be another area in the Control Panel called "Extras" you can double tap on it for the options, Also once osso-statusbar is enabled you can tap on the graph and it gives you different options. Try it out the different options until you have it setup like you want.

Wow, thanks for that!!! Okie...so it says :

CPU Hogs:

maemo_af_desktop 65 cycles 12%
xomap 4 cycles 0%
maemo-launcher

And the battery is now down to 3/4 of a charge. I did use the machine for probably 45 minutes today, so that could be part of the battery issue, but I'm guessing that it will be totally drained in a couple hours. We'll see. :/

Hrm...ok, so it was just sitting here battery 3/4 full...and then it just gave me the low battery thing. So it went straight from 3/4 to nothing over about 5 minutes.

So normally, like a couple months ago, I would have charged it overnight and then used it throughout the day for maybe an hour...then in the evening when watching
tv maybe for an hour or two and then if I had forgotten to charge it it would have
been just fine until middle of the next day at *least*.

Last edited by Ariel222; 2007-08-17 at 22:43.

Hmmm... it doesn't sound like the issue I had. My next "guess" is the software/program that monitors the battery level is not working correctly or the circuit that monitors the battery level is not working correctly.

I believe the batteries used in the N800 and 770 have an internal circuit that sends out a signal to tell what the charge/time left is, someone please correct me if I am wrong. So it is really kind of hard to say which one is the problem.

You could try flashing the N800 with a base image and see if you still are having a problem. If you still have a problem after you flash it then it sound like some hardware issue. The link below is a how to flash your N800 with Linux.

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HOWT...ImageWithLinux

Well it is acting the same with both batteries, so my guess is something inside the machine. I will try to flash it and see if that helps and will probably leave most apps off...though I'm not usually one to install anything too weird. Really weird. The one battery I bought is an off brand...it's just really strange, because I don't even carry
the N800 around with me much outside the house.

Will let you know how it goes...will check back here later.

Okie, so I just flashed it with the new version of the OS....which was already on there...but it does seem like it's a bit better at least. It was down to one green line
on the battery indicator and it didn't shut down on me or anything. It sat on my
counter for a good hour like that. So it is charging up as we speak and I will let you know how it all goes.

So if it starts to work, it was apparently something I had installed. I didn't have tons of stuff on there. There was OMWeather, Canola, Solitaire, osso-xterm and I *think* that's about it...so the only things I can think are possibly the weather and the solitaire game (it was like 86 solitaire games).

Will keep you all updated, I do appreciate all the help so far. I really really like my N800...so I will be very pleased if it will work again.