Posts: 26 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Mandaluyong City, Philippines
hello everyone!

i got an N900 from a friend and it was all set-up with cssu and power-kernel. at one time i did an apt-get upgrade a few days ago and well, i kind of forgot what happened. now when i install some things, apt-get complains of this

http://pastebin.com/w3ep76Yz

short history on how i got the phone: this is an upgrade from my android (Samsung Galaxy 551) and i'm really loving the N900 (aircrack! and it runs *full* linux!), only problem is some missing comparable apps i use and chinese input on the hw keyboard

things i tried to do:
ln -s /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas /schemas
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install --reinstall hildon-desktop

the "unconfigured" apps work and show in the launcher though.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!

Last edited by g.jie; 2012-12-30 at 18:01. Reason: marking thread

The Following User Says Thank You to g.jie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Do not use upgrade in that fashion, unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are doing and how to fix things when they go wrong,

Now, since you have thumb2 and the like installed, my suggestion would be a reflash, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable may be able to suggest a different solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Mandaluyong City, Philippines
i'll take note of that. i should just upgrade packages with HAM instead? (got used to kubuntu and doing dist-upgrades whenever new packages come out)
if this is really ugly, then i'll reflash, specially when there's nothing important in the phone, yet.

thanks!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Coming from a regular *nix distro, it is very tempting to expect the same exact functionality on your *nix phone as well. I know I did.

In the past, however, plenty of people have reported problems after doing -upgrades, so I stay away from it.

HAM is terribly slow to read repo's and such.

After a reflash, I always install FapMan (Faster Application Manager) first. If I need to be upgrading apps I would use FapMan.

Like I said, some people here might be able to help you install hildon desktop without a reflash or other components, But if you hardly have anything on the device anyway, I would opt for the reflash, if only to have a cleann device to start workinng with, that you have installed yourself and know inside out.

That being said: You could try and see what happens if you download the deb for hildon-desktop and see what happens if you throw dpkg -i at it.

http://maemo.org/packages/view/hildon-desktop/

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please show the output of
Code:
apt-cache policy hildon-desktop mp-fremantle-community-pr
to investigate the issue, that made your upgrade fail.
There are two cases not to use apt-get upgrade, without further assurance in the forum:
First: Having enabled extras-devel repository might offer instable situations. Read the output carefully and take a look into the forum. Some faster person might already report problems.
Second: Thumb2 CSSU flavour will lack in version number to CSSU-testing, so check always manually what versions are offered if system packages want to upgrade to some cssu-XY version.

Do not use 'apt-get dist-upgrade', it might seriously corrupt your system.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
phone came with extras-devel enabled; uboot and rescueOS installed
he did warn me about not doing a dist-upgrade though.
had to attach it, forum won't let me post it here.

@anthonie
no dice either. throws out the same thing.

reading about reflashing and installing uboot just in case it's really unsolvable.
Attached Files
File Type: txt apt-cache.txt (6.1 KB, 78 views)

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by g.jie View Post
phone came with extras-devel enabled; uboot and rescueOS installed
he did warn me about not doing a dist-upgrade though.
had to attach it, forum won't let me post it here.

@anthonie
no dice either. throws out the same thing.

reading about reflashing and installing uboot just in case it's really unsolvable.
If the phone is used I'd start from scratch anyway.

Reflash both parts
http://wiki.maemo.org/Reflash

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
The output of apt-cache looks fine, looks like the latest CSSU-Testing thumb2-compiled is installed.

I must admit i do not get the step you do with the gconf. May be that is the error. A quick search on the web did not yield any usable output.
Are you sure about this syntax?
Are you sure the prompt was in the right directory, for what your intention was?
As root or as user?

Last edited by michaaa62; 2012-12-29 at 21:44.

the gconf step wasn't done by me. it was being done by dpkg automatically. i ran a find / -iname *key-actions* with no result. the directory doesn't exist in the folder either.
all of this was being done as root, both in ssh and xterm.

@sixwheeledbeast

downloading images now.

fun bit is the phone still works normally as it should. i can install and remove packages as normal and those packages work completely; even the ones that failed to configure work and are usable.

i still can't stop snickering at the name FapMan hehehe

hello.
i found out that i managed to create some other problems whist tweaking with the phone. just decided to just reflash and start fresh while i still don't have anything too important in it.

thanks for all your help everyone!

ps: do i mark this thread as solved?