Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Singapore
I notice that my N9 64GB doesn't last through a workday, which troubles me. To try to get a better understanding of the situation, I turned on Flight mode, closed all apps, and let the Energy Profiler run for awhile (Developer mode disabled). You can see the chart below (the black bars represent when my phone locked)..

Why am I idling at almost 70mA with Flight mode enabled?? No wonder my phone is dying so quickly! Because the mA goes down so much when the screen turns off (locked), I'm thinking the screen on my phone just sucks all that battery juice, but I cannot be sure.

How can I systematically troubleshoot my phone to determine which app or process is causing the battery drain? I have also attached the list of apps I have installed and the process list (in Flight mode). Could someone who is a Linux expert please help me to optimize my system to reduce battery usage?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt apps.txt (5.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt ps.txt (9.4 KB, 291 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to 10basetom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
lots of us had similar problems and many solved by:
devel-su
chmod -x /usr/bin/smartsearch

but if it starts when you turn screen on, then that would be different story,
anyhow, you can try to disable smartsearch and see result
to revert (enable) smartsearch type:
devel-su
chmod +x /usr/bin/smartsearch

good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Singapore
Hi wook_sf, I followed another thread to set the smartsearch priority to 10. I don't think smartsearch is the culprit because it doesn't show up at the top of htop and I haven't installed any new apps or made any changes to my filesystem where it would need reindexing.

As a last resort, I will try to disable the execute bit as you suggested, but does that mean any new contacts/apps I add will not be searchable? If that's the case, then I can't do that because I rely on search.

Cheers,
Tom

Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
lots of us had similar problems and many solved by:
devel-su
chmod -x /usr/bin/smartsearch

but if it starts when you turn screen on, then that would be different story,
anyhow, you can try to disable smartsearch and see result
to revert (enable) smartsearch type:
devel-su
chmod +x /usr/bin/smartsearch

good luck

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by 10basetom View Post
Hi wook_sf, I followed another thread to set the smartsearch priority to 10. I don't think smartsearch is the culprit because it doesn't show up at the top of htop and I haven't installed any new apps or made any changes to my filesystem where it would need reindexing.

As a last resort, I will try to disable the execute bit as you suggested, but does that mean any new contacts/apps I add will not be searchable? If that's the case, then I can't do that because I rely on search.

Cheers,
Tom
well, i am actually one that discovered that priority, but as mentioned many times [even by ex engineers that worked on harmattan (can't find original posts now)] smartsearch is really issue and many people is suggesting this to be disabled for sake of battery.
smartsearch is only for search app as i know (when you open contacts you can search without problems and you can always scroll in launcher to find your app. (there's no 1000 apps on your phone i believe)
search app is buggy and it needs fix
also, you can use conky to see what consumes most of battery (most of idle time or something like that [bottom-left widget])
good luck and i hope it will work for you

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
okay but what IS at the top of top or htop?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
With your screen on 54-70 ma is normal running nothing else.... While connected to a mobile network.

It's when the phone is in sleep mode that it runs best (ie screen off)

When the screen is off, and the N9 goes into a deeper sleep it saves the most battery...

Now if you're in flight mode and getting these numbers...

Can you give us a screenshot of Top at the peaks?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
In case if you are running Profilematic+Dropcache solution, try to disable that combo and do another run. I found that my battery consumption (via Energy Profiler) went erratic when using that solution even after running dropcache hours later as I set it to run once a day during flight mode while charging. See if that's help. Alternatively, it could also be Wazapp Dev Version (Cepi's Deb) as I found that it's running quite high on battery too, 56 ma while idling.

Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
In case if you are running Profilematic+Dropcache solution, try to disable that combo and do another run. I found that my battery consumption (via Energy Profiler) went erratic when using that solution even after running dropcache hours later as I set it to run once a day during flight mode while charging. See if that's help. Alternatively, it could also be Wazapp Dev Version (Cepi's Deb) as I found that it's running quite high on battery too, 56 ma while idling.
Who in their right mind would use Cepi's deb? I used it today and wanted to cry....

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Who in their right mind would use Cepi's deb? I used it today and wanted to cry....
Well iff you followed the wazapp thread, there seemed to be quite a number. Cepi's deb seemed to work quite ok apart from music playback interuption, which annoys me but the visible high battery drain was absolute deal breaker for me.

Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
Well iff you followed the wazapp thread, there seemed to be quite a number. Cepi's deb seemed to work quite ok apart from music playback interuption, which annoys me but the visible high battery drain was absolute deal breaker for me.
What?

Cepi's deb kept freezing on me... It its worse than the original wazapp's I played with....

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix