Active Topics

I bought a N900 a few months back and activated it on T-Mobile with their $30 a month "Monthly 4G" plan about a month ago. The plan comes with 100 voice minutes and unlimited texting and "unlimited"/5GB of data. The plan is just about perfect, except they consider it a "prepaid" plan and don't bill you, show any account history, and most importantly don't send any form of receipt (which I need so that my employer can reimburse me). I've called multiple times to T-Mobile and the only way to get any kind of receipt is to call, wait for ever to talk to a supervisor and then they can fax(!) you a one time receipt. I don't have a fax machine, and even if I did I'm not willing to put in that kind of effort every month just to get something that should be emailed to me or available to view on the website.

So, done with the long preamble, what kind of equivalent plans are available in the U.S. from other providers? I don't care at all about texting, and don't really need minutes. i just want data and a decent national coverage area as I travel for work regularly (although mostly to big cities). Work will reimburse me up to $30 for data.

Any options out there?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
You already have the best plan. Buy monthly pre-pay cards (anywhere) and print out your own account history from the website.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you are satisfied with 100 voice minutes that might be your best bet. I am happy paying $40 a month to Simple Mobile for less than 4g speed but unlimited US calling. The slower speed doesnt bother me.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've been with T-Mobile since I first got my N900 upon its release. Switched from sprint just to use this phone (well worth it I may say). I pay about $61 after taxes and fees. They still have Prepaid plans starting at $50, so I'm assuming total cost would be just like mine.

T-Mobile all the way. I have an old, no-contract, unlimited everything plan. It's not offered anymore, but the 3G has been great for me. I see speeds in the 1-5 mbps consistently. If work is going to reimburse, why not go with a regular,comparable plan and get rid of the hassle (assuming work will reimburse more than $30 you currently pay).

Thanks everyone. I don't really need any voice minutes included with the plan since we're using a SIP service for work that I can use for work calls, and I have a dumb Verizon phone for personal calls. Having some voice minutes included is a nice bonus though in case I'm in an area without a good data connection or Verizon signal (which seems to happen pretty regularly).

Work will only reimburse me up to $30 which is supposed to be for data only, but I need to be able to show a receipt from the carrier that will show the plan info on it, so I don't think buying prepaid cards will work from a reimbursable standpoint.

So I take it none of the smaller carriers or resellers offers a comparable plan to the T-Mobile one, with some better account management tools?

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Work will only reimburse me up to $30 which is supposed to be for data only, but I need to be able to show a receipt from the carrier that will show the plan info on it, so I don't think buying prepaid cards will work from a reimbursable standpoint.

So I take it none of the smaller carriers or resellers offers a comparable plan to the T-Mobile one, with some better account management tools?
Well, you could go on the "Value" contract with T-Mobile, that'd have a receipt, but it'd be $59 plus taxes and fees (which are a lot in most states), and you'd be stuck with it for 2 years of course. On the other hand, if you can get $30 off, you'll have unlimited calling for around the same price you're getting 100 minutes for. Though apparently you don't need that.