Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I assume this will be the replacement for the current LD-3W.

Leaked FCC picture here (and again here).

No dates for availability or any real details, but several sites saying "soon" as it's now been approved.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It would appear the LD-4W has now been announced.

125 Euros, 31 gram weight, 10 hour operation time. Should be available in Q4 2007.

Now might be a good time to get a great deal on the LD-3W.

The DC-1 battery pack (see last photo in link) also looks interesting for those that might need it.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-08-27 at 17:46.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
I have been using the Pharos Blue Tooth GPS Receiver with Maemo mapper on my N800 to good effect. The only problem is if you take the tablet our of bluetooth range the app crashes.

Fred

@Fred: Can you tell me where you found out how to get your Pharos BT GPS receiver to work? Thanks!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Someone tell me again the point of buying the Nokia over a faster, stronger, and more efficient 3rd party offering?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Someone tell me again the point of buying the Nokia over a faster, stronger, and more efficient 3rd party offering?
I have the LD-3W and all I can say about the new model is:

Looks cooler.

Far shorter battery life.

LD-3W works great.

Why even bother with it?

Are you talking about the add-on Nokia GPS vs. 3rd parties?

If you are talking about the 810 vs. a dedicated GPS, the Nokia tablets are general purpose computers, in a sense. In many/most cases, there will be dedicated devices that will do the job better and cheaper.

People will use the nokia because:
1. They don't want to carry/have multiple devices. In a car situation, convergence really helps when there is limited space and/or power outlets.

2. Theoretically, having one device can make things easier. Want to map out a contact, go to your contact list, press <map> and next thing you know, your route is planned. Of course, this completely depends upon the software.

3. One device can be cheaper in many instances, if you are willing to live with the compromises. Will your GPS allow you walk into any WIFI hotspot in the world and truly access the internet? You may need 2 devices then. Obviously, GPS + PDA + Internet Access can easily cost more than an 810.

4. Open Source and the Nokia Development community: Most devices are closed, and the only software you can get on it is what the manufacturer gives you. With the tablets, the possibilities are endless as to software development, and you can even roll up your own sleeves if you want to. I'm really not sure how good GPS manufacturers are at updating their software (and at what cost), but I'm gonna guess they are going to side on either trying to sell you a new unit, or charging for updates.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lny98 View Post
Are you talking about the add-on Nokia GPS vs. 3rd parties?
I'm talking about what would be most relevant to this particular thread. Go ahead and take a guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Only one reason: Common chargers. As a highly mobile geek with lots of gadgets, I really like that a common charger can charge my phone, my tablet, my bluetooth headset, and probably soon my GPS.

I've got a holux GPSlim 236 that works great and I won't toss it but it would be nice to need one less charger. The charger takes up more room in my bags than the GPS itself.

David

Originally Posted by ranasing View Post
@Fred: Can you tell me where you found out how to get your Pharos BT GPS receiver to work? Thanks!
Go to the bluetooth settings in the control panel. Click on devices, then scan for the gps. When it finds it use the pin 12345678 . Once you have it in your devices list have bluetooth turned on and the gps. If you have an 810 then go to the gps section of the control panel and make sure the device is set for the Pharos. The mapper program "should" auto connect to the gps once it's started. (I've had issues.) If you're using maemo mapper start it up and go to the settings. Put your gps's mac address in the bluetooth field under the gps tab. It should then connect to your gps.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.