Active Topics

When I first received my 770, I had issues with the internet connection on my N73, so just skipped the setup wizard that first popped up for all the related settings.

Now that I've got the N73 up and running for its connectivity, I'm trying to get the 770 to connect via the N73.

I can pair the two of them without any issues, but I can't figure out how to get the web connection working.

Got a feeling I'm going to have a complete d'oh moment when it gets pointed out to me, but thanks in advance for any assistance.

Whoops, should have rtfm .... got it setup.

Only problem now is that Orange do some of the most incredibly sucky data tariffs .... (£8 for 30meg is their idea of "unlimited access")

Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Whoops, should have rtfm .... got it setup.

Only problem now is that Orange do some of the most incredibly sucky data tariffs .... (£8 for 30meg is their idea of "unlimited access")
time to change to tmobile Payg works really well on Tmobile as well, £1 for 24 hours of surfing, or on contract, £7.50 a month - although there are "terms" that you shouldn't use the phone as a modem.

Originally Posted by mattyduk View Post
time to change to tmobile Payg works really well on Tmobile as well, £1 for 24 hours of surfing, or on contract, £7.50 a month - although there are "terms" that you shouldn't use the phone as a modem.
Was discussing this with a colleague today - how do the networks know if your browsing from your 770 or from your N73 (or whatever phone)?

However, I'm stuck - can't move to T-Mobile ... yet. I'm on an 18 month contract, and am only about 9 months in. A Flext tariff with Web'n'walk would do wonders.

Reckon that the O2 may have to shake up their tariffs, as they're supposed to be getting the iPhone. Voda and Orange will have to follow.

Did read up on 3's offerings, but they seem plain bizarre.

Oh, and the browsing via the N73 was VERY snappy.

Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Was discussing this with a colleague today - how do the networks know if your browsing from your 770 or from your N73 (or whatever phone)?
not sure, but I think they are mainly worried about people downloading large files or streaming video, rather that browsing web pages on a tablet, so I don't think theres much to worry about

One thing you should never do -- don't call your cell provider and ask for tech support on tethering your IT or notebook to your cell phone. If they know you are doing it, they will dump you. I do it with my Notebook and my IT all the time. I really only do email, forums and RSS though; I don't watch video or download songs that way.

I will be buying a 3G phone next month (that is when I am elgible for an upgrade, from my Razr). I was going to buy an iPhone, but I will not accept AT&T's rate plan, slow EDGE speeds and the disconnect fee, nor the proprietary battery situation. Instead, I will be buying a Samsung BlackJack. It has 3G, will do TV, video and all that, AND it is a PDA, AND it comes with a spare battery & charger, AND I can get all-you-can-eat 3G access for $40/month. I am paying $20/month now, for slow internet speed on my Razr. And I am told that they don't care if you tether the BlackJack to a notebook. If the web browsing is lame on the BlackJack(?), I can always tether my IT, but if it is great, then my IT will probably go to eBay.

Whoops -- did I say that out loud?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
One thing you should never do -- don't call your cell provider and ask for tech support on tethering your IT or notebook to your cell phone. If they know you are doing it, they will dump you.
In the US, maybe. In the UK (and probably elsewhere), no.

Unless of course you're on a fixed usage tariff which specifies "no modem usage" - but then they'll try and upgrade you rather than dump you.

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Philly!
I have a Blackjack, I am currently on the $20 MediaMax plan, which offers 200 text messages a month and "unlimited" data. I do occasionally use my BJ as a modem for my laptop and have yet to have any issue with them adding fees or kicking me upto the PDA connect. As far as I know there is only one known method of getting the 770 to pair with the Blackjack for internet and its a very long convoluted process. the issue is that the Blackjack uses PAN networking, while the 770 only supports DUN networking. Theres a thread that shows how to do it, if you search the forum you'll find it, but good luck, you'll need it to get it to work.