Notices

How do you install a java app? i Tried to install the latest opera but it did not work.

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
DavyP, i believe that you should consider writing something that will "install" midlets.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
DavyP, i believe that you should consider writing something that will "install" midlets.
You mean an easy way to have the middlet in the desktop with an icon?
There was excalibur but never realy worked for me don't know way
It would be great!!!

i can write console script for this, basicly it would do:
read manifest.mf and locate name and icon, then blit icon on nokia's background and write files.
i am unsure how to install .desktop files and icon files without making deb, but i think that making .deb on device should be possible too...idk

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 603 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Belgium
i can write console script for this, basicly it would do:
read manifest.mf and locate name and icon, then blit icon on nokia's background and write files.
i am unsure how to install .desktop files and icon files without making deb, but i think that making .deb on device should be possible too...idk
Actually, writing a proper installer requires a bit more work. Basically if you tap on a link referring to a jad file in a browser, the installer should download this file to a certain location, parse it to figure out the location of the corresponding jar file and download that as well.

Then you can figure out how to start the midlet, either by parsing the jad or the manifest file in the jar, but that part is already implemented. You can then do all the nice things to get proper icons, application names, etc. but you need to make sure you have to proper privileges to do that. Also, the installer needs to be smart enough where to store the icons, because the default paths for Maemo and Meego are different.

At least, this is what I did for the Android port. I don't create separate short cuts for each midlet, but implemented a simple midlet manager that keeps track of which midlets have been downloaded, etc. This feature request has been listed on my TODO list so I am quite aware this functionality would be nice to have:

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/34

The excalibur script was indeed a first shot at this, but I personnaly think it was still to complicated to use, and I have also had cases where the script did not work reliably.

Cheers,
Davy

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Do you have any progress with the sound support?

Originally Posted by DavyP View Post
Actually, writing a proper installer requires a bit more work. Basically if you tap on a link referring to a jad file in a browser, the installer should download this file to a certain location, parse it to figure out the location of the corresponding jar file and download that as well.

Then you can figure out how to start the midlet, either by parsing the jad or the manifest file in the jar, but that part is already implemented. You can then do all the nice things to get proper icons, application names, etc. but you need to make sure you have to proper privileges to do that. Also, the installer needs to be smart enough where to store the icons, because the default paths for Maemo and Meego are different.

At least, this is what I did for the Android port. I don't create separate short cuts for each midlet, but implemented a simple midlet manager that keeps track of which midlets have been downloaded, etc. This feature request has been listed on my TODO list so I am quite aware this functionality would be nice to have:

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/34

The excalibur script was indeed a first shot at this, but I personnaly think it was still to complicated to use, and I have also had cases where the script did not work reliably.

Cheers,
Davy
i am not sure about maemo, but MeeGo can store .desktop files into home/user/local/share/applications/
icon can be saved anywhere.
as for jar part:
we can store midlets in /home/user/MyDocs/.midlets/jars/
we can store icons in /home/user/MyDocs/.midlets/icons/
so, permission problem is solved (afaik)
there's also a way to write into /usr/share/applications/ but we can avoid that if midlets will actually be on mass memory so if some memory is erased other one will remain and all files will be on same.
about jad files, as far as i am aware jad contains url to jar so, we can implement this too.

what do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
i am not sure about maemo, but MeeGo can store .desktop files into home/user/local/share/applications/
icon can be saved anywhere.
as for jar part:
we can store midlets in /home/user/MyDocs/.midlets/jars/
we can store icons in /home/user/MyDocs/.midlets/icons/
so, permission problem is solved (afaik)
there's also a way to write into /usr/share/applications/ but we can avoid that if midlets will actually be on mass memory so if some memory is erased other one will remain and all files will be on same.
about jad files, as far as i am aware jad contains url to jar so, we can implement this too.

what do you think?
I tried storing the midlets in the /home/user/MyDocs/.midlets and
the desktop file in /home/user/local/share/applications/, but I
cannot get the entry to appear in the overview.

However, if I manually copy (as root) the desktop file to
/usr/share/applications/ it automatically gets picked up.

What am doing wrong?

Davy

Originally Posted by DavyP View Post
I tried storing the midlets in the /home/user/MyDocs/.midlets and
the desktop file in /home/user/local/share/applications/, but I
cannot get the entry to appear in the overview.

However, if I manually copy (as root) the desktop file to
/usr/share/applications/ it automatically gets picked up.

What am doing wrong?

Davy
i am sorry, i've made mistake, it's not /home/user/local/share/applications/ but /home/user/.local/share/applications/

Hi,

I have had people report that the latest Opera Mini 7 did not work,
whereas the older version 6.5 worked just fine.

I got this report for both Maemo/MeeGo as for Android, and I spent
some time trying to figure out what was wrong. I was able to
reproduce this problem (the midlet freezes after visiting one or two
pages).

Turns out, if I disable Just-In-Time for this midlet, it seems to work
for me (tested on my N9). The speed is slower, but still reasonable.

If you install the latest cvm-midlets 6.0 package from:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/deb/

you will have both versions 6.5 and 7.0. The first runs with JIT
enabled, the second has JIT disabled.

You disable JIT by passing the option "-Xjit:compile=none" to the
/opt/phoneme/bin/cvm command line.

I have not (yet) been able to figure out what is wrong with the JIT,
but if some people want to test, go ahead.

Davy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyP For This Useful Post: