Posts: 42 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Park City, Utah, USA
Everything else in my bag, except for my notebook computer, can by charged through a USB cable. For international flights I have a couple of backup batteries with USB ports that I can plug my devices into to extend running time or recharge.

So is this a problem that can be fixed easily? The N800 power adapter says Output: DC 5V, 890 mA. My USB (output) chargers all say 5V. One of them says 500 mA and the other says 1.0 A.

I can't find the specs for the power available at the USB ports on my notebook.

Is there any chance that Nokia or a third party can make a wire with a USB plug on one end and a N800 power connector on the other?

They do exist.

You just need to find a "new style" (skinny) Nokia usb charging cable adapter or something like that. I got mine on ebay.

Mine seems to charge my N800 slower than the regular power adapter. I thank that is due to some sort of limitation to how much power a usb port may draw.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA

The Following User Says Thank You to omegaone37 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I have an unbranded USB charger set, which I bought from a department store here in Finland. By default it charges my 770 really slowly and my cell phones won't even start charging. However, the charger package included an adapter, which is supposed to change the USB port output from 5V to 6V. I haven't tested this with a multimeter, but when plugging this adapter between an USB port and the charger cable, both my phones and 770 are charging normally.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mrzoink View Post
They do exist.

You just need to find a "new style" (skinny) Nokia usb charging cable adapter or something like that. I got mine on ebay.

Mine seems to charge my N800 slower than the regular power adapter. I thank that is due to some sort of limitation to how much power a usb port may draw.
You may already have one. The USB cable that came with my wireless mouse has an Nokia old-school plug at the business end. With the Nokia new-kid-on-the-block adapter it charges my N800 nicely, albeit slowly (only 500 mA on USB).

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
I just got one of these power packs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230152068038

its just $33.98 (£16.58) delivered from Hong Kong.

It comes with all thit:

I don't have it yet so hope the Nokia tip is the new small type rather than the old large type, it should be as I think the old type charger was a lot less than 5v which means this is not suitable for them.

This will keep our Ipods, pocket pc, N800 and other bits and bobs powered while on holiday and only need one ac charger to keep this powered overnight.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by kudos1uk View Post
I don't have it yet so hope the Nokia tip is the new small type rather than the old large type, it should be as I think the old type charger was a lot less than 5v which means this is not suitable for them.
I hate to disappoint you, but the odds of that being the new style tip are zero.

OTOH, the old type Nokia charger was 5 volts (unless you have a really mesolithic type of charger), so a simple adapter should have you charging away happily.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I hate to disappoint you, but the odds of that being the new style tip are zero.

OTOH, the old type Nokia charger was 5 volts (unless you have a really mesolithic type of charger), so a simple adapter should have you charging away happily.
Thanks for that, I don't have a Nokia phone so was not sure of the voltage, I do have a split USB/Charger cable so I am sorted but it would have been nice to only take a tip with me.

Originally Posted by omegaone37 View Post
Hybrid...

go here: http://www.boxwave.com/products/mini...a-e62_2097.htm
I like that, wonder if I can get one in the UK. I have somehow damaged my N800's mains charger and there's a break in the wire somewhere. This might be a better method of charging...

Originally Posted by piku View Post
I like that, wonder if I can get one in the UK. I have somehow damaged my N800's mains charger and there's a break in the wire somewhere. This might be a better method of charging...

I got this one £4.48 delivered from ebay but its not retractable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230141740966