Active Topics

I don't know if this has been posted yet.

For info, I noticed this recent article from a mobile industry analyst which had an interesting quote:

Incidentially, if we only assume the hot Nokia smartphone N9 running MeeGo would sell 'only' as well as the far less exciting N8 did a year ago running the far less impressive Symbian S^3 - if Elop bothered to release the N9 globally - and we only assume its contribution was 'only' as that of the N8 - Elop would be able to add 164 million Euros to Nokia's bottom line !

So the CEO sits on the answer to turn his loss-making smartphone unit into generating profits (and all of Nokia Corporation from making a 1% loss to making a 1% profit) - remember, this is a finished product, it is already shipping and being sold - and it is made in Nokia-owned factories, using Nokia standard components and using the MeeGo OS for which Nokia doesn't need to pay a royalty (vs Windows Phone based smartphones which when they will be released near Christmas in a few countries, will not be made in Nokia's own factories, will not use Nokia standard components, and for every unit Nokia has to pay a royalty to Microsoft).

Only a total fool CEO looks at his company making a loss, and refuses to sell the highly-desirable product that would turn his company back into generating a profit. Only a fool. But lets keep this with the smartphones bloodbath, not about Elop.
I'm not sure how well a global launch of the N9 would have gone given the WP7 strategy, but it is interesting nonetheless:
http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...bloodbath.html

Last edited by caa; 2011-10-24 at 03:24.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
My nerd rage over the forthcoming clumsy bait-and-switch continues unabated.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I fear those numbers are presumably inflated and based on mere conjecture and not facts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: