Active Topics

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2010 @ malaysia
W: GPG error: https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com ./ Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY ADB4438160A655EF
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

this is the message i get when i run apt-get update.
will this pose a problem?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by vignes_k View Post
W: GPG error: https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com ./ Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY ADB4438160A655EF
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

this is the message i get when i run apt-get update.
will this pose a problem?
It doesn't prevent anything from working, so there's no functionality issues.

The only potential issue is that the site may not be the correct downloads.maemo.nokia.com site (without a validated signature, it's going to be difficult to pick up if the key changes). Theoretically that would allow someone to push malware onto your system. With the (relatively) small number of N900s out there, it's highly unlikely that anyone would go to all the trouble though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
I have the same problem. I want to fix it because I now can't run apt-get update. Is there a solution?

Originally Posted by Zekahz View Post
I have the same problem. I want to fix it because I now can't run apt-get update. Is there a solution?
glad to know im not the only one

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
I found another thread but it isn't much help. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67168

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Repeat after me: IT IS NOT CRITICAL. 'apt-get update' will go through fine in that it pulls packages info from the reps.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Repeat after me: IT IS NOT CRITICAL. 'apt-get update' will go through fine in that it pulls packages info from the reps.
Thanks for the info... will ignore it and continue with life cheers

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
The way to solve the issue is to get the public key for the repo. This key is used to sign the repository so you know the repo is who it says it is. While apt-get will work without the key, it is there for a reason, and that reason is to protect you from unauthorized software being downloaded onto your system.

Sadly, I can't seem to find that key on the MIT pgp keyserver or on other key servers. I'll ask Niels Breet if he knows where one can get the key to stop these errors.

Last edited by jeremiah; 2011-09-10 at 12:39.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Macedonia
I have the same problem. Also i made reflash my phone but the problem is again.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
I have the same problem. Also i made reflash my phone but the problem is again.
It's nothing to do with the phone, so you can reflash it until you're blue in the face and it won't make a difference. Nokia have changed the PGP key they use to sign their repository, but haven't made the public key for this available (so there's no way to verify the signature). Until Nokia make the key available, we'll keep getting this warning message (note: not an error, so everything works as normal).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: