Active Topics

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Southern California, U.S.A.
So here is a bulleted chain of events prior to my touch screen failing to respond.
  • have had my phone since February 2010
  • have NEVER dropped it on the floor
  • went swimming an hour before
  • kept my swimming trunks on and dried out enough to sit in a restaurant seat
  • put my N900 in my pocket with minimal dampness
  • TOUCH SCREEN NO LONGER RESPONDS TO PRESS/TOUCHES that evening.

Here is what does work:
  • phone and OS boot fine (after flashing because I was locked out)
    • Touch screen looks like new (virtually no scratches)
  • touch screen has some sort of response but nothing predictable (just random touches SOMETIMES reacts)

This is what I've tried.

I've tried to re flashing using instructions on http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware without success.

So I've investigated a bit and it appears there are OEM screens I can purchase and there are youtube videos that make it feasible to replace. I don't have a problem investing in a replacement but I just want other people's feedback. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

REFERENCE: http://youtu.be/pDQ81cahD1c

I guess I'm hosed on this one.

If anyone can chime in this question I'd appreciate it.

Q: How can I tell whether the problem lays in the controller or the actual LCD touchscreen?

I will be thankful for any feedback.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
If you have a screen protector, just remove it. I had same problem and was thinking about software fault but problem was my screen protector.

I did remove the screen protector but the issue is still there.

Thanks

I'm going to disassemble it and verify all PCB flex cables are visually OK. I don't have a microscope so I'll basically do this with my 20/20 vision.

Did you expose it to the direct sunlight/high temperature (you mentioned swimming)?

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
i can confirm that its not your LCD screen that cause you this problem but the digitizer...replace the digitizer then your touch screen will be ok...
for all info it is not the LCD screen that is touchables but the digitizer that give the response on every touch...if you don't know what is a digitizer then google it...

Originally Posted by pusak gaoq View Post
i can confirm that its not your LCD screen that cause you this problem but the digitizer...replace the digitizer then your touch screen will be ok...
for all info it is not the LCD screen that is touchables but the digitizer that give the response on every touch...if you don't know what is a digitizer then google it...
I think it would be more difficult to replace digitiser. Besides it is not offered as a spare part.

Do you know which digitiser did Nokia used in N900?

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
I think it would be more difficult to replace digitiser. Besides it is not offered as a spare part.

Do you know which digitiser did Nokia used in N900?
actually your wrong...there a lot of N900 digitizer spart part out there...here in Malaysia you can get it at handphone repair shop or nokia center it self....the different is the price...you can also search at E-Bay or any online shopping websites...you will find it....

Originally Posted by chiques View Post
So here is a bulleted chain of events prior to my touch screen failing to respond.
  • have had my phone since February 2010
  • have NEVER dropped it on the floor
  • went swimming an hour before
  • kept my swimming trunks on and dried out enough to sit in a restaurant seat
  • put my N900 in my pocket with minimal dampness
  • TOUCH SCREEN NO LONGER RESPONDS TO PRESS/TOUCHES that evening.

Here is what does work:
  • phone and OS boot fine (after flashing because I was locked out)
    • Touch screen looks like new (virtually no scratches)
  • touch screen has some sort of response but nothing predictable (just random touches SOMETIMES reacts)

This is what I've tried.

I've tried to re flashing using instructions on http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware without success.

So I've investigated a bit and it appears there are OEM screens I can purchase and there are youtube videos that make it feasible to replace. I don't have a problem investing in a replacement but I just want other people's feedback. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

REFERENCE: http://youtu.be/pDQ81cahD1c
Sounds like there could actually be moisture inside you screen assembly.

To visually inspect, dissassemble The screen assembly. I would go so far as to remove the LCD. I.E. seperate the LCD, DIgitiser and slide mechanism.

I highly doubt they have been physically damaged.

Leave these parts in a warm dry place over night. i.e. on top of the fridge/in airing cupboard/whatever.

Re-assemble and check to see if the problem persists.

If the problem persists that would imply the problem lies a little deeper. If that is the case, seal it all back up, feign ignorance and sell it on ebay with a vague clue 'the software screwed up'. Some N900 enthusiast will buy it in the hope that it only needs a reflash.

word of caution, the screws on the screen assembly are SUPER lightweight, do NOT over tighten them THEY WILL STRIP!

This is all assuming your phone is out of warrenty...

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post: