Active Topics

I've just ordered a 770 (from Expansys, the price is awesome), and have a question on memory cards.

have heard plenty of people having issues with memory card compatibility of various Nokia phones (invariably S40). Is there a similar issue with the 770? I'm tending to think not due to the completely different hardware/OS as to other Nokia devices.

Same here, Just ordered Nokia 770, and now searching about for rs mmc cards and trying to find out the upper GB limit as well?
I use Blueface.ie for the phone via Breeze rooftop.Aaron wants to know if the unit is SIP enabled, I'm not able to answer that yet either! As a complete newbie to Linux (have run UBUNTU successfully on my old desktop and mighty impressive it was too!)
As regards code I'm on a steep curve here, so I think the Nokia 770 will be a good purchase at the expansys.ie price currently. Notice it has the 2006 OS so I think much will have to wait until the units are fired up to see what version is in there?

I've never run any form of Linux before, but I did do a little work on Unix systems in my Uni days (close on 20 years back).

The upper GB limit on MMC is 2gig .... and practically thats the same on SD as well (discounting SDHC, although apparently thats mainly a firmware issue, not hardware?).

Regardless, both my colleague and myself have gone and ordered the 770, and 2 x 2gig cards to play with. the 2 gig cards were CHEAP - less than £7 from SVP.

Its going to be handy if they are shipping with the 2006 OS, wouldn't particularly want to start with a new bit of kit and having my first experience being an OS update.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
I've never run any form of Linux before, but I did do a little work on Unix systems in my Uni days (close on 20 years back).

The upper GB limit on MMC is 2gig .... and practically thats the same on SD as well (discounting SDHC, although apparently thats mainly a firmware issue, not hardware?).

Regardless, both my colleague and myself have gone and ordered the 770, and 2 x 2gig cards to play with. the 2 gig cards were CHEAP - less than £7 from SVP.

Its going to be handy if they are shipping with the 2006 OS, wouldn't particularly want to start with a new bit of kit and having my first experience being an OS update.
If you ordered MMC cards for your 770s, you're in for a nasty surprise. The 770 takes RS-MMC or MMC Mobile only.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
If you ordered MMC cards for your 770s, you're in for a nasty surprise. The 770 takes RS-MMC or MMC Mobile only.

My bad ... typo - they are RSMMCs that we've ordered

Just under £7 a pop ain't bad at all.

Its a bleedin' wind up with all the different memory card formats that I've got hanging around.

PSP/W810i - Memory Stick Duo Pro
N73 - SD (I wish they'd update the firmware with SDHC support)
Canon A70 - CF

And when i was back at the ex-wifes house, add in Micro SD (moto phones), Xd cards (cameras).

Total madness!

Thanks Clonmult for that and
Karel Jansens for the reminder about the Reduced Size card format (RS) I have not ordered the upgrade cards yet, still looking will try SVP ?

SVP are reputable, I've bought bits'n'pieces from them before - various memory cards, epson printer consumables.

The 512meg/1/2 gig cards URL

thanks Clonult,

RS mmc cards are on the way from SVP thanks v muchly fr the link to that!

Notice some snippet on BBC news abt a Royal Mail strike! must investigate!

Paul

FYI: dabs are doing kingston 2GB rs-mmc (dual voltage) for £20.50

hope this helps