Hi there, i am a bloody beginner when it comes to Python/Dbus . I thought the best way to learn something about this is to read a lot about it and then try to code a simple application like i did when i learned java and C#.
But somehow this time it seems to be not that easy to learn just by reading and doing - maybe it just looks so complicated because I’ve never used Dbus before? (Python seems to be very easy).
The little application i want to make is something that gets a signal from Dbus if someone is calling and pushes the information’s (name of the caller/phone number…) to my computer where a little server is running that shows a notification and maybe mutes the system sounds. The problem here is not the server side but the „client“ on the n900.

What i’ve found out so far is that I can use dbus-monitor to watch for events. I also read that it’s possible with dbus-scripts to directly start a script by an incoming call but the problem here is that dbus-scripts can’t forward arguments like an array or variant (got that from the wiki page) which are needed for getting the phone number of the caller i think.

After playing with dbus-monitor I think the relevant event is this one:

Code:
signal sender=:1.19 -> dest=(null destination) serial=156 path=/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/ring/tel/ring; interface=org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.Requests; member=NewChannels
   array [
      struct {
         object path "/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/ring/tel/ring/incoming1097983067"
         array [
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.InitiatorID"
               variant                   string "0123456789"   <-- phone number here 
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.TargetHandleType"
               variant                   uint32 1
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.TargetHandle"
               variant                   uint32 4
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.TargetID"
               variant                   string "0123456789" 
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Requested"
               variant                   boolean false
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia.ImmutableStreams"
               variant                   boolean true
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.ChannelType"
               variant                   string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.InitiatorHandle"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interfaces"
               variant                   array [
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.DTMF"
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Hold"
                     string "com.Nokia.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.DialStrings"
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Group"
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.CallState"
                     string "com.nokia.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Emergency"
                     string "com.nokia.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.ConferenceMember"
                  ]
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia.InitialAudio"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia.InitialVideo"
            )
         ]
      }
   ]

So now my question is how is it possible to catch such an event with Python and read the information of it so that I can use it in my program?
I hope someone can point me into the right direction, give me some hints or help me with a little advice so that I can learn a bit and soon be able to do more with the almighty n900…
Any help is much appreciated!

Oh and i'm really sorry for my bad english

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by Frickelson View Post
Hi there, i am a bloody beginner when it comes to Python/Dbus . I thought the best way to learn something about this is to read a lot about it and then try to code a simple application like i did when i learned java and C#.
But somehow this time it seems to be not that easy to learn just by reading and doing - maybe it just looks so complicated because I’ve never used Dbus before? (Python seems to be very easy).
The little application i want to make is something that gets a signal from Dbus if someone is calling and pushes the information’s (name of the caller/phone number…) to my computer where a little server is running that shows a notification and maybe mutes the system sounds. The problem here is not the server side but the „client“ on the n900.

What i’ve found out so far is that I can use dbus-monitor to watch for events. I also read that it’s possible with dbus-scripts to directly start a script by an incoming call but the problem here is that dbus-scripts can’t forward arguments like an array or variant (got that from the wiki page) which are needed for getting the phone number of the caller i think.

After playing with dbus-monitor I think the relevant event is this one:

Code:
signal sender=:1.19 -> dest=(null destination) serial=156 path=/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/ring/tel/ring; interface=org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.Requests; member=NewChannels
   array [
      struct {
         object path "/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/ring/tel/ring/incoming1097983067"
         array [
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.InitiatorID"
               variant                   string "0123456789"   <-- phone number here 
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.TargetHandleType"
               variant                   uint32 1
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.TargetHandle"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.TargetID"
               variant                   string "0123456789" 
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Requested"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia.ImmutableStreams"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.ChannelType"
               variant                   string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.InitiatorHandle"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interfaces"
               variant                   array [
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.DTMF"
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Hold"
                     string "com.Nokia.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.DialStrings"
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Group"
                     string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.CallState"
                     string "com.nokia.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.Emergency"
                     string "com.nokia.Telepathy.Channel.Interface.ConferenceMember"
                  ]
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia.InitialAudio"
            )
            dict entry(
               string "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia.InitialVideo"
            )
         ]
      }
   ]

So now my question is how is it possible to catch such an event with Python and read the information of it so that I can use it in my program?
I hope someone can point me into the right direction, give me some hints or help me with a little advice so that I can learn a bit and soon be able to do more with the almighty n900…
Any help is much appreciated!

Oh and i'm really sorry for my bad english
Did you tried Google and another approach using runstandalone.sh: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56083?