Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Just moved to an N900 from Android and looking for a good sat nav program with voice guidance.
I have trawelled these posts and noticed that there aren't many 'commercial' packages. I believe only Sygic and that is being withdrawn.
So, my question is, what do people use?
I have seen there is some work to get voice guidance on ovi maps but I couldn't get that to work, also seen a few other packages (navit, marble etc.)
Ideally on board maps as opposed to using internet as I sometimes travel abroad and want to avoid roaming charges, but all options considered!

Look forward to your suggestions and list of options to try out.

Sygic only I think if you want voice - I do not think there is any FOSS alternative with voice - I could be wrong though as I have not looked for a while.

Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
Just moved to an N900 from Android and looking for a good sat nav program with voice guidance.
I have trawelled these posts and noticed that there aren't many 'commercial' packages. I believe only Sygic and that is being withdrawn.
So, my question is, what do people use?
I have seen there is some work to get voice guidance on ovi maps but I couldn't get that to work, also seen a few other packages (navit, marble etc.)
Ideally on board maps as opposed to using internet as I sometimes travel abroad and want to avoid roaming charges, but all options considered!

Look forward to your suggestions and list of options to try out.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ South Africa
Hi,

Yes I've also been looking for a good navigation program as OVI Maps always gets me lost because I miss the turn-offs. I'm not very good at forums but I also havn't found any posts with opinions on this topic. (2nd post)

Does anyone here use their N900 for navigation?

I'm often using the N900 for navigation and I'm very happy with sygic.
Works like a charm for me.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ipoh, Malaysia
I use Mappero. Its gives you a choice between the maps you use and also provides voice guidance. You can also download maps before hand to avoid roaming charges.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/maemo-mapper/

Lately I have also come across Marble. It provides an option for Offline routing.

http://marble.garage.maemo.org/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetalGearSolid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I have Sygic, but I'm scared we won't have maps update any more.
So, I recently tested Modrana. It's not as easy as Sygic, but at least maps are always update (being downloaded from the internet) and it has voice guidance.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I have Sygic, but I'm scared we won't have maps update any more.
So, I recently tested Modrana. It's not as easy as Sygic, but at least maps are always update (being downloaded from the internet) and it has voice guidance.
The Sygic website has no mention of N900/Maemo at all now.

Is there anyway of getting hold of a copy of Sygic?

Thanks

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by MetalGearSolid View Post
I use Mappero. Its gives you a choice between the maps you use and also provides voice guidance. You can also download maps before hand to avoid roaming charges.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/maemo-mapper/

Lately I have also come across Marble. It provides an option for Offline routing.

http://marble.garage.maemo.org/
Could you get Mappero to work? Could you give me more details, especially on getting the maps uploaded? I installed Mappero app but was not able to use it. I'm fr Penang, btw

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I'm using Marble, which can use on-board maps and has voice navigation, although I haven't tested the latter yet (got to download and convert some voice files from my tomtom.. some day..

It also has offline navigation, but needs a connection in order to convert the address you give into coordinates (offline routing maps don't have street names, etc.).

With the latest version (1.1.1) this is supposedly implemented, but needs some updates to the routing maps (which are not the same as the displayed maps).

Sorry the information is a bit fuzzy, but I'm just starting to use Marble..

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Ipoh, Malaysia
Once you have added For ex. Google Map to its map repository (I think its not there by default anymore), you can use a software called MOBAC (formerly TrekBuddy Atlas Creator) to download maps to your PC. All the downloaded tiles need to be moved to MyDocs\.maps which is the common folder for map applications like ModRana, cloudGPS etc. Once the tiles for the area under view is placed in the directory Mappero would automatically pick them from the cached maps folder.

PS: Even MOBAC has disabled Google Maps and many others by default so try looking for the older version of the program with support for all the maps
Also I think keeping a cache of tiles from such repositories voids their rules of use, so be warned about that.