Hi all

First apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I have tried searching but couldn't find the specific problem

My N900 has entered into a repeated boot sequence which I can only stop by removing battery. I suspect this may be due to me uninstalling 2 or 3 applications using "faster application manager" as I've had no problems before this (I'm not knocking faster application manager - I think it was something I did!)

I've downloaded the flasher a Vanilla EMMC image and the world FIASCO image and loaded them onto a laptop running 32bit vista home edition. The battery has fully charged externally. I run the flasher and try to flash the EMMC following the instructions provided and initially it shows as being connected and working. After a second or two the flasher shows no suitable usb device found. Then the screen on the N900 shows the Nokia logo on a bright screen and the charging light shows continuous yellow.

The laptop shows that it has detected and installed a nokia usb cable but then says there's an unidentified usb device and searching pre installed folders but never finds anything. I assume there's a problem with USB drivers but I'm probably wrong.

Any advice appreciated -

Gavin

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Make sure the battery is at least 3 quarters charged and get on an xp comp then try all again, vista is known to give problems so unless someone can give you specific instructions on here what to do about vista as i never run the crap os, always had xp.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Have a look at this thread ok cos it has same problems you are having.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45278

Originally Posted by scoobied View Post
Hi all

First apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I have tried searching but couldn't find the specific problem

My N900 has entered into a repeated boot sequence which I can only stop by removing battery. I suspect this may be due to me uninstalling 2 or 3 applications using "faster application manager" as I've had no problems before this (I'm not knocking faster application manager - I think it was something I did!)

I've downloaded the flasher a Vanilla EMMC image and the world FIASCO image and loaded them onto a laptop running 32bit vista home edition. The battery has fully charged externally. I run the flasher and try to flash the EMMC following the instructions provided and initially it shows as being connected and working. After a second or two the flasher shows no suitable usb device found. Then the screen on the N900 shows the Nokia logo on a bright screen and the charging light shows continuous yellow.

The laptop shows that it has detected and installed a nokia usb cable but then says there's an unidentified usb device and searching pre installed folders but never finds anything. I assume there's a problem with USB drivers but I'm probably wrong.

Any advice appreciated -

Gavin
i hope this link will help u ...http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware#N900

use maemo flasher

Right..........

After approx 6hrs work - couldn't get vista of any flavour to work at all despite a number of reinstalls of drivers etc. Tried running VM XP with similar fruitless results. Downloaded ubuntu iso image and ran it on laptop which nearly fried due to some issue with linux not recognising the systems fans. Next ran ubuntu image on desktop and after eventually working out the firmware image needs to be in the home folder 2 minute job.

Wish I'd started with ubuntu but as a linux virgin it looked simpler to go windows - I'll know if it happens again........

Thanks for the help
Gav

The Following User Says Thank You to scoobied For This Useful Post: