Active Topics

Poll: I want a device for fun, to get to know it and learn from it wich shall be it?
Poll Options
I want a device for fun, to get to know it and learn from it wich shall be it?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Now I think I'm gonna treat myself with a new device sometime soon. I'll tell you what is a choice and what's not. Note: My N900 doesn't go anywhere, it's been my internet tablet from the start and it's gonna stay that way until it rips apart (or maybe (nokia|lg?) surprises us with the meego device)
So I'm starting with devices I would like on the list but still aren't for various reasons

1. Another N900 -- Still expensive around here, and ok I already have one
2. Dell streak -- A little out of reach, pricewise, android 1.6 and small resolution (for a fiver)
3. HTC Flyer - I fell for it's stylus but the price tag fell on me like a brick

On the other hand, devices I'm considering

1. Galaxy S -- love Samsung's AMOLED's (since the i8910) and I found one for less than 300?
2. HTC HD2 -- I know, dreaded windows mobile, but I checked and it's one of the most hackable devices around, they've even got meego on it (dysfunctional though). I like the big screen too.
3. Palm pre -- this just occured to me, but I like how it looks (in the photos) and noone has one around here. And it's got a keyboard.
4. Nokia N8 -- small res but I love that camera and chassis, also I like symbian for a phone, and ovi maps makes up for the price difference
5. HTC Desire -- I think I prefer the Galaxy's screen, and for sure the processor, so maybe it's not a choice after all
6. HTC Trophy 7 -- Don't shoot, but I haven't got my hands on a WP. It is not the os of the future (even with the addition of multitasking and copy paste) but it sure looks nice, and it's cheaper than the others (and with less impressive specs, but anyway)

Disclaimer:

It's not a production device, I wanna hack it, slash it, learn from it, maybe try code for it. If I like it too much maybe it can replace the N95 as my phone.

So you know the facts, start voting!

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-09-27 at 17:53.

dell streak is running froyo DJ Steve ported it..
i have HTC Desire and i love every bit of it a bit of modding but its pefect... N8 is slow i believe . 680mhz processor
Galaxy S - if you have money then buyy this haha

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
How about Nokia E7. Looks great and I hear the Symbian is improved?
Attached Images

E7 is waaay too expensive. It sure looks nice though.

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-09-27 at 17:54.

Try HD2, I think it is the best among all the windows phone.

Originally Posted by shardul View Post
Try HD2, I think it is the best among all the windows phone.
Troll harder bro.

Remember nokia are to make their Meego announcement at some point. Also, android sucks dry ***.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
Have you thought about the Nokia E6? Being on the same boat as you, I was looking mainly at the pre3... but when I saw the E6 I fell in love. It's not as fancy as a big-***** slate device, but the new symbian Anna looks veeeeery interesting, it has a very nice keyboard and stuff like USB host mode, freakishly long battery life etc. Plus it looks pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to giorgosmit For This Useful Post:
The E7 is a neat package. But Symbian obviously is a dead end - also the pyromaniac Elop put it on fire and it's offshore with no hope of rescue and still fully manned, all kinds of nasty stuff going on. I'd stay away.

Lately, analytics think Windows 7 and Android are going to be the big two, somehow. Don't know how they figured that out. Anyway, if you want your Farmwille success, you have to go in early. If you want to catch it while it's still young you have to go for Windows 7, cause that sure hasn't reached Android's popularity. Yet?

Personally, having no such delusions of making a code sniplet of financial win, I would not touch ZunePhone with a hot stick. I'd rather have an end-of-cycle Maemo, MeeGo, Android, or even Windows Mobile phone than a Windows Phone phone, at this place in time.

I'd go with Android. Infact, I already did. Since Android is so inferior compared to Maemo, I went with cheap, though. I have a ZTE Blade (aka Orange San Francisco, aka T-Mobile Blade) which has some decent reviews. Bang for bucks and all that. Zyanogenmod Gingerbread. It's pretty Meh.

From your options, I'd say that the Galaxy S is the only one I'd expect to be able to keep my disgruntledness on an acceptable level. But I don't know anything about the Palm Pre, so maybe I'd take a look at that, just to be different.

Last edited by volt; 2011-04-19 at 08:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Troll harder bro.

Remember nokia are to make their Meego announcement at some point. Also, android sucks dry ***.
I don't think he trolled. The HD2 is essentially the same phone as HD7 and Desire HD and look at the price tags. And android (which is not perfect but it's an ok os for me) is fully functional on it.

Also I don't think the meego device will qualify the price range anyway as much as I wanted it to.

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-09-27 at 17:54.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I don't think he trolled. The HD2 is essentially the same phone as HD7 and Desire HD and look at the price tags. And android (which is not perfect but it's an ok os for me) is fully functional on it.

Also I don't think the meego device will qualify the price range anyway as much as I wanted it to.
Here's something different for your consideration:

Kyocera Echo Dual-Screen Smartphone Exclusively from Sprint Announced

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...510456638.html
Attached Images