Active Topics

I've done quite a bit of reading this afternoon but couldn't get certain answers or got answers which seemed possibly suspect, so I'm going to ask them here and get them confirmed here before putting them up as 100% accurate.

1a)-Answered myself

1b) I flashed mine with 2.2006.47-17- why does it say 2.2006.48-7 under About Device in the control panel?

2)Answered myself

2b) Answered myself

2c) Answered myself

2d) Answered myself

2e) Answered

3a) XTERM - I assume using the becomeroot package is the easiest way to gain root access in xterm. Is there a way to change it so when you go into xterm it automatically does a "sudo gainroot" for you? I haven't seen a reason to use xterm without having root access.

3b) Answered myself

3c) The thumboard in xterm (and any other application for that matter) - is it possible to have the return key actual send a "return" signal just like the smaller keyboard? It seems very stupid that you can't use enter without using the small keyboard. The functionaility is mentioned here as here as odd by one person but I would think more people would think this is ridiculous.

4) Answered

I'll leave it at that for now but I have a lot more waiting!

Also - Anyone interested in getting a lot of this material on a Wiki? I'd love to add it to the official maemo one but I really can't stand the way that wiki works

Last edited by robbh66; 2007-07-06 at 01:00.

I totally agree about the enter key on the thumb board, especially for xterm use. I don't think having a default login as root would be a good idea though.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I don't think having a default login as root would be a good idea though.
I can't see of a reason why it's not :/

With gain root comes great responsibility.

If it was a good idea to be root all the time, root would be the default user in Linux systems. It's best to be root only when you need to be.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

These questions aren't going to get on the FAQ by answering themselves

4) SOURCES.LIST - In the FAQ I pointed to a thread where you can easily see what's in the sources.list file. My question, however, is if someone could create a complete sources.list file and copy it to the device instead of manually inputting all the lists?
Yes. As long as you have root access, I actually use putty to ssh into my 770 then edit my /etc/apt/sources.list using nano to copy/paste repositories from different websites. You could also use WinSCP to transfer your sources.list over, edit it in notepad or equivalent and transfer it back overwriting the original. This is all assuming you have ssh and root access via dropbear or openssh.

Originally Posted by kahmeal View Post
Yes. As long as you have root access, I actually use putty to ssh into my 770 then edit my /etc/apt/sources.list using nano to copy/paste repositories from different websites. You could also use WinSCP to transfer your sources.list over, edit it in notepad or equivalent and transfer it back overwriting the original. This is all assuming you have ssh and root access via dropbear or openssh.
I think I found a different (and possibly easier way) - inject the list into a settings backup archive and when you restore that part the info gets put back in place- haven't tested it yet, though.

EDIT: I tested this- it works.

Last edited by robbh66; 2007-07-06 at 01:01.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ cape cood
regarding the mmcplus52mhz enhancement, apparently the 200639 kernel will work just fine on a 49-2 system:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/23241#23241

but anyway if you want an updated 200649 kernel:
fanoush posted to this forum (but does not actually list on his site)
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/zImage-yuv420
1276624 bytes
md5sum is 12434779377540ec1f3c7bfa394e44b5

It is based on kernel source from latest IT2006 FW (.49) with high speed mmc patches, multiblock MMC writes enabled, extended brightness control, yuv420 patch and tearsync backport. I am using it on my device for one week or so but better treat it as experimental kernel :-) You can even use linux flasher to load it temporarily without writing to flash (flasher -l -k zImage-yuv420 -b) and next reboot brings your old kernel back

(quoted from here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...05&page=48#475)