hey is there any way to speed up n900? i saw this video on youtube after overclocking and it was damn fast. is there any way to speed it up without overclocking? because i dont wanna take a risk and wanna stay in warranty. i already installed swappolube but no major difference. i wanna speed up the multitasking and scrolling etc. is there any other way to do this?help would be appreciated
thnakyou

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
You could use a mild overclocking that could be reversed anytime the system is rebooted? I use 805, works fine, a lot faster on every action. I made it permanent, but you don't have to.

will i stay in warranty and will i have to download those power kernels? i heard about maxcpu and i think its pretty easy. but will i stay in warranty? and i heard that some people bricked there phones when trhey removed the power kernels to bring there phones back to normal. i found this on the net

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by yasirrfc View Post
will i stay in warranty and will i have to download those power kernels? i heard about maxcpu and i think its pretty easy. but will i stay in warranty? and i heard that some people bricked there phones when trhey removed the power kernels to bring there phones back to normal. i found this on the net
if they would ve followed the instructions they would ve not brick their phones

The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
Originally Posted by yasirrfc View Post
nope, the warranty will be void
really?? I havnt heard that, well I suppose if you do brick it all you need to do is do a quick flash....but seriously OC is very easy and there are numerous guides in this community.

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
N900 is nigh impossible to "brick". Brick means completely unresponsive. The N900 gets bootlooped, non-booting, or otherwise non-functional, but I don't think anyone has truly bricked their with just kernel flashes yet. All the people who have bricked their N900s with power kernel uninstalls, unless they messed up something else, no doubt were able to solve it with a reflash.

Moving on: No, overclocking in any way will void your warranty. Also, I read somewhere on here that all kernel flashes are recorded somewhere (somewhere not safe to touch, like where the bootloader sits), that said, I'm not sure if power kernel installs are evidence of overclocking to the people who process these phones on warranty... *Shrug*

That said, overclocking is only one way of speeding things up - it still will only speed up SOME processes - there's other processes that are slow because of swapping I/O bottlenecks, and that can be sped up by moving swap onto your SD card, which is actually slower in pure I/O speed (or so I've read), but will be faster for most processes because you don't have both swap I/O and eMMC storage I/O bottlenecking on the same bus.

Alternatively there's a few threads on here for things like reducing the write queueing and the like, which in my experience does seem to help with some of the slow downs that things like overclocking don't address (at the same time, places where overclocking would speed things up, it doesn't actually improve, so yeah).

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
N900 is nigh impossible to "brick". Brick means completely unresponsive. The N900 gets bootlooped, non-booting, or otherwise non-functional, but I don't think anyone has truly bricked their with just kernel flashes yet. All the people who have bricked their N900s with power kernel uninstalls, unless they messed up something else, no doubt were able to solve it with a reflash.

Moving on: No, overclocking in any way will void your warranty.
Although Nokia CLAIMS that overclocking voids your warranty, I think the majority of users here have at least tried overclocking and to my knowledge not ONE SINGLE USER has EVER reported that Nokia refused to fix his phone because it had been overclocked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
To be fair, the fact that Nokia is the provider of the warranty, and is also saying "overclocking voids warranty", does mean that by legal and logical definition, overclocking voids warranty. However, it does make me happy to learn that they don't diligently check whether or not that particular voiding circumstance is actually applicable or not. Thank you for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post

Moving on: No, overclocking in any way will void your warranty. Also, I read somewhere on here that all kernel flashes are recorded somewhere (somewhere not safe to touch, like where the bootloader sits), that said, I'm not sure if power kernel installs are evidence of overclocking to the people who process these phones on warranty... *Shrug*

That said, overclocking is only one way of speeding things up - it still will only speed up SOME processes - there's other processes that are slow because of swapping I/O bottlenecks, and that can be sped up by moving swap onto your SD card, which is actually slower in pure I/O speed (or so I've read), but will be faster for most processes because you don't have both swap I/O and eMMC storage I/O bottlenecking on the same bus.

Alternatively there's a few threads on here for things like reducing the write queueing and the like, which in my experience does seem to help with some of the slow downs that things like overclocking don't address (at the same time, places where overclocking would speed things up, it doesn't actually improve, so yeah).
hey so u mean i can overclock it through installing the power kernel and the maxcpu? ok so i wanna overclock to 750 or 800 in a relatively safe mode. so u mean it will not void warranty? but i read everywhere that it will? ok and will this make my n900 hotter? as in will the device heat up with overclocking? and is there any way to remove everything if i wanna go back to normal? as in remove the new power kernel and maxcpu? can i go back to normal again if i want to cause i read in appmanager about power kernel that it cannot be removed through application manager.

if you undervolt the phone, it wont overheat! and it will save battery life...

check the Undervolting and voltage tables

http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking