Active Topics

I just picked up the Nokia 770 from Buy.com. I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering the price. My main uses are ebook reading and web browsing, but I'm trying out all the other applications too. After a couple days of playing with it, plus lots of googling and searching this forum, I still have a few questions:

1. I set up the network connection and it was working out of the box. Then a few hours later, I was unable to connect no matter what settings I tried. I reset my router, even though it doesn't have this problem with other wireless devices or my laptop.

After a lot of searching, the only way I was able to get the connection back was to remove the connection from the control panel, reboot, then recreate the connection again.

Is this a common problem or is my unit possibly defective (a problem with the radio hardware/connection)?

2. Is there a way on the current OS 2006 to remap the zoom rocker to function as page up and page down in the browser by editing input.ini?

I tried several different methods found on the forum (F7 = Scroll up ...), but the rocker still zooms. I have seen a few posts that says this input.ini editing doesn't work anymore in the latest OS 2006, but I'm wondering if there is another method I haven't found yet. I do know that holding the D-pad up or down will scroll, but I would prefer to use the zoom rocker if possible.

3. Is there a one or two button way to cycle between broswer windows like Ctrl-tab in Firefox? Right now, I either have to press the full screen button to exit full screen mode, then use the stylus or use the menu key and D-pad to move through the selection menu.

4. In Opera general settings, the largest Memory cache setting is 512. Is there a way to set a larger cache by editing opera.ini? Will increasing the [Disk Cache] Size beyond 512 have any effect?

5. Are there any Opera tweaks to prevent frequent crashing when "Open link in New Window" is used? Or is there a more stable alternative method for opening links in other windows or tabs? I have already disabled flash. I also tried disabling Iframes, but that caused problems for some of my sites, so I switched them back on.

6. In FBReader is there a way to set multiple bookmarks while reading?

7. Is there a way to increase the system Virtual Memory option beyond 64M in the Control Panel panel?

Thanks for your help.

In re question 3, press and hold the Home button for a second and it will pop up a list of open apps. You'll still have to arrow-key or tap onto the one you want, but at least it'll be slightly less inconvenient than stylus tapping. (This is only my second day with it myself.)

Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
In re question 3, press and hold the Home button for a second and it will pop up a list of open apps. You'll still have to arrow-key or tap onto the one you want, but at least it'll be slightly less inconvenient than stylus tapping. (This is only my second day with it myself.)
Thanks for the reply and the tip. Your method is a bit better than the other two I had been using.

I still wonder if there is an even better way to quickly cycle through page with a single button or two key combo press (rather than having to press something, then switch to another series of keys or stylus to select a menu item). I'm hoping for something like, hold X, then tap Y for browser window 2, keep holding X and tap Y a second time for browser window 3 and so on, until it loops back to the current window.

The Following User Says Thank You to mardin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mardin View Post
Thanks for the reply and the tip. Your method is a bit better than the other two I had been using.

I still wonder if there is an even better way to quickly cycle through page with a single button or two key combo press (rather than having to press something, then switch to another series of keys or stylus to select a menu item). I'm hoping for something like, hold X, then tap Y for browser window 2, keep holding X and tap Y a second time for browser window 3 and so on, until it loops back to the current window.
See http://advogato.org/person/pycage/diary.html?start=48
(easy task switching / car mode) for a solution. The drawback, however, is that you will lose the functionality of the menu button.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
(easy task switching / car mode) for a solution. The drawback, however, is that you will lose the functionality of the menu button.
Perfect, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for: one button cycling through all active windows, including each browser page.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Is this hack just for the 770, or can I edit a similar file on my n800 that will enable the menu to cycle apps?

I've searched far and wide, but it all comes back to your post.

Originally Posted by mardin View Post
I just picked up the Nokia 770 from Buy.com. I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering the price. My main uses are ebook reading and web browsing, but I'm trying out all the other applications too. After a couple days of playing with it, plus lots of googling and searching this forum, I still have a few questions:

1. I set up the network connection and it was working out of the box. Then a few hours later, I was unable to connect no matter what settings I tried. I reset my router, even though it doesn't have this problem with other wireless devices or my laptop.

After a lot of searching, the only way I was able to get the connection back was to remove the connection from the control panel, reboot, then recreate the connection again.

Is this a common problem or is my unit possibly defective (a problem with the radio hardware/connection)?
I have the same problem, with mine and I haven't found the solution yet.

The only solution I've found so far (which in my opinion is a temporary work around) is to disable the encryption security of the connection. You may be able to use WEP, but if you use a higher encryption setting it may not help. You can then use MAC filtering and don't broadcast your SSID. This won't stop someone who really wants to get onto your network though.

Originally Posted by chuckfloyd View Post
The only solution I've found so far (which in my opinion is a temporary work around) is to disable the encryption security of the connection.
Thanks, but I'd rather not do that. I am using WPA and when it does work, it works fine with WPA. I haven't had the missing connection problem for a few days. It sounds like this may be a common problem on some units, but I'd rather go through the trouble of re-adding the connection than turning off encryption.