Will the next kernel for maemo have OSS sound system support?

That could be useful for USB-soundcard (and stereo recording)

Hmm, i think that here we have a misconception: No one is responsible for the available kernels components, and nothing stops you from compiling your own kernel that suits your needs.

You could *ask* for some that are known for compiling the kernel for fun (mohammadag, titan, joergrw, to name a few) to make a custom unmantained compilation for you

or you could try it yourself by following this guide: http://natisbad.org/N900/n900-custom-kernel.html

The kernel can be customized in countless ways, and no single kernel compilation will bring happiness to everyone, even if it is a christmas kernel

Also, you could explain why the current kernel doesnt fit you. Maybe you can achieve a solution without messing with core components like the kernel (pulseaudio is not enough for you? why?)

Hope this helps

Last edited by clasificado; 2010-12-27 at 18:16.

Thank you for your reply.

I don't want to compile a custom kernel because I want to be compatible with most of the other users.

The power-kernel fits with most of my needs.
It will be the same for most of the other users.

The kernel should be a center of unification for most users.

If I change the kernel I have to change it everytimes I install an update of the kernel.

Pulse-audio is a very modern and powerful sound-system and I am very happy and proud to have it on my maemo.

But pulse-audio is capable to integrate and emulate other sound systems (e.g. ALSA or ESD-plugin).

In any case it doesn't hurt to one sound system to have also support for another sound system (e.g. esd) in the kernel.

OSS is needed for many drivers for USB-Soundcards.

It wouldn't be a mistake to have this module in the common kernel for everybody.

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

Last edited by gerdich; 2010-12-27 at 21:51. Reason: Link added

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
OSS is not needed these days for any usb soundcards to the best of my knowledge. PA on ALSA more than solves that. However I personally want /dev/audio (maybe dsp) emulation via alsa for a legacy x86 voice recognition app I plan to run in an arm -> x86 qemu chroot (this part is done).

Most of my Usb-stick soundcards and also creative soundblaster usb want /dev/dsp.

OSS integrates easily to PA.
I repeat my link:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

@gerdich i agree with your opinion, but i think that this thread will gives us nothing, because there is no guarantee that any kernel "mantainer" will read it.

if you are thinking about trying with some less popular kernels, try contacting mohammad or joerg_rw directly, some users use their hacked kernels, they *may* consider your suggestions in their next releases

if you want to modify the power-kernel branch, you should try contacting titan (or the current mantainer, IDK who is) so, in the mid term, he could compile your modifications in the next .47 version

if you think that the default kernel must have oss, you should contact nokia directly, fill a bug in the bugtracker, and then wait for their response.

in other words, i think that this generic "i want something" thread may be frustrating to you if you dont have any useful response.

Maybe if you talk directly with someone that actually can do something. There are several threads discussing each kernel version that deserves attention out there.

Last edited by clasificado; 2010-12-28 at 02:48.

There is no need for OSS at all ( except for some old programs that still use it ), alsa has drivers for almost all soundcards including usb, and if there is no alsa driver for it, then most likely there is no oss driver.