Hey guys, first i need to apologize for my english.

So, i have a little problem im my N900. My mom uses my computer for work and she got a spyrawe or virus, dont know exactly what it is, but all my folders, like .documents ou .sounds are no longer folders, but a .exe. If i try to delet or format my N900, this .exe coming back. I can use my N900 normally but i cant take any pictures and my N900 says: "memory inaccessible, was not possible to store the contents".

Some one can help me? thx alot and apologi for my english again

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tahiti
Well, your best chance to get rid of it radically is to reflash your n900 (fiasco and emmc)
here is the procedure :
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

make sure to follow exactly what it says, especially when flashing the emmc (with vanilla)

The Following User Says Thank You to renowong For This Useful Post:
run antivirus software on it or format the disk on windows. The virus wont spread beyond the fat partitions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Can't you delete the virus using the terminal? or is the N900 bricked? It sounds like it's a Windows virus, it only runs when you plug the N900 to a Windows computer that either is already infected or has autorun enabled for removable storage devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
A Windows virus can't run on your N900, but it does sound like it has infected the main storage (the bit that shows up when you connect your N900 to a computer). If you don't have anything you need to save you can just format it.

To format this part of your N900:
1. You need the rootsh package installed so you can get root access to your N900.
2. Open a terminal (you can use the Ctrl-Shift-x shortcut) and type "root" to become root
3. Unmount the "MyDocs" partition, type in "umount /dev/mmcblk0p1"
4. Format it, type in "mkdosfs -F32 /dev/mmcblk0p1"
5. Re-mount it, type in "mount /dev/mmcblk0p1"

WARNING: This will wipe ALL the data you have stored on that part of your N900 such as music, videos, photos, etc. So make sure you have anything important backed up. It will leave intact all installed applications, and most (if not all application settings), some applications do store data there though. Do this at your own risk, it should solve your problem, but I'm not sure if the standard disrectories that apps expect to be there will be created automatically or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
This is precisely one of the major reasons I (and I'm sure many/most others) have strongly considered (or already did) re-format the eMMC with something not M$-compatible. I haven't done it, but this is just a reminder to me--and should be to everyone else--that perhaps it's time to do it, and do sharing with something that doesn't keep the executable perms or the like (is there a way with Samba et al?).

The Following User Says Thank You to storkus For This Useful Post:
It definitely wouldn't hurt wouldn't hurt to take storkus' advice. If you format it as an ext2 or ext3, Windows software won't know how to run on it. The bad side, however, is that Windows would no longer know what it was looking at when you plug it in via USB, so no mass storage. But SSH and WinSCP fixes that pretty well.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by storkus View Post
This is precisely one of the major reasons I (and I'm sure many/most others) have strongly considered (or already did) re-format the eMMC with something not M$-compatible.
A bit useless. The right solution would be to simply not connect the N900 to untrusted hosts, and more importantly, not enabling mass storage mode when connected to an untrusted host.

A Windows virus could destroy all of your ext3 partition even if it did not understand it.

I am wary if reflashing is the best option considering the host PC is probably already infected. The best option would be to either trash the host PC or get a proper antivirus and/or operating system.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
A Windows virus could destroy all of your ext3 partition even if it did not understand it.
Yeah but how many Windows viruses are out there to destroy NOT-Windows? Like, maybe four. As possible as it may be, we gotta think realistic.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
But it makes it a pain to connect to the computer, you could use ext2ifs so Windows can read it, but then once Windows can read the filesystem a virus can infect it. So you might as well just not bother to connect it.

In my experience even when you only use Linux using regular Linux filesystems for removable storage is a pain because of permissions.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post: