Active Topics

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
Funny, true work story yesterday...

Got called into a meeting on short notice to investigate an issue with a desktop app not working over a VPN connection from home for some users.

After some discussion about doing some live troubleshooting from an outside connection, a few people in the meeting proposed using someone's cell data connection, but the staff in the meeting had a mix of iPhones and Android phones, and noted that they weren't able to tether their phones to let another device use the data connection.

I laughed, and said... hold on, I'll give you a wifi ESSID to connect to in a second (via JoikuSpot on the n900, sharing my data connection)

Software issue replicated, investigated, workaround found, and meeting concluded 15 minutes later.

And one of the iPhone users asked me... wait, what kind of phone is that???!!! Nokia what??? Maemo? Is that Symbian?, etc.., etc... as one of the other staff laughed and said... yeah, Maemo is basically a Debian linux distribution on the phone, so there's not much he can't do with that thing

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to slvr32 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
hahahahaha.... now dats rocking.... N900 always rocks.even when i m around wid m frnz mostly wid iphone they always ask me about the app of N900 n talk about d multi tasking.... feels so proud holdin N900 in m hand n a being member of this forum makes m feels awsomee....

How did you get Joikuspot to work? I paid for that da#* app and it doesn't work on my Mac. I guess it is Windows only?

..... what you think phone-> wifi hotspot does not exist for iPhones or Android ?

if you bothered to google....

How to turn your iPhone into a WIFI hotspot (needs jailbreak, duh)
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...fi_hotspot.php

How to turn your Android phone into a WIFI hotspot (needs jailbreak duh)
http://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to...-android-phone

useless iPhones or Android phones ? dumb USERS more like it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
How did you get Joikuspot to work? I paid for that da#* app and it doesn't work on my Mac. I guess it is Windows only?
It's an app for the n900, runs on the n900.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
..... what you think phone-> wifi hotspot does not exist for iPhones or Android ?

if you bothered to google....

How to turn your iPhone into a WIFI hotspot (needs jailbreak, duh)
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...fi_hotspot.php

How to turn your Android phone into a WIFI hotspot (needs jailbreak duh)
http://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to...-android-phone

useless iPhones or Android phones ? dumb USERS more like it.
i suppose the difference is... running the stock OS on the n900 (no power kernel or other tweaks needed), you can purchase and download an app from the Ovi store, no hacking/jailbreaking needed, and share your data connection via wifi.

and sure, you can jailbreak an IPhone or Android phone to make it more useful, but that may or not be frowned upon if it happens to be a corporate/company-paid cell phone.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by cutehunk04 View Post
hahahahaha.... now dats rocking.... N900 always rocks.even when i m around wid m frnz mostly wid iphone they always ask me about the app of N900 n talk about d multi tasking.... feels so proud holdin N900 in m hand n a being member of this forum makes m feels awsomee....
WHAT????? This is an English language forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
huh no hacking needed ?

joikuspot is hardly working well on all n900s even on stock (we already have a user in this thread saying theirs never works) and is widely acknowledged to have stability problems. There are numerous threads detailing n900 joiku stability problems. I personally gave up trying to get joiku to work for more then a few minutes without droping and only use it as an extreme emergency backup - I run mobile hotspot instead.

I couldn't get Joiku to work with an iPhone either, it just stops pushing data after it starts up. Works fine with other phones though. Mobilehotspot works great on everything I've tried, and its free

Nice going. I am not in IT but that makes me even more surprised when I watch our 3 IT guys running around with their 3GS-ess and ipads... I mean they are bright and capable people who I'm sure won't be offended if anyone calls them utter geeks, N900 should be a dream device for them yet I'm not sure they even know it exists.

Tags
hotspot, joikuspot