Active Topics

Is there a way to merge two (or more) versions of the file el-v1.db?

I have previously backed up an older version of this file, about two weeks ago, and I deleted that file (so the system can create a new one) just to have a working logging facility. It was due to the conversations bugs (I'm sorry, I forgot the bug IDs) related with PR 1.3, wherein:

1- New messages, be it SMS or IM, are not logged, i.e., the file /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db is not updated

2- The Conversations app does not display updates when receiving or sending messages

I have the same problem.
The el-v1.db does not get updated when new messages arrive.
When I move it, a new one will be created that works.

However I want to merge it with the old one or fix the old one so it gets updated again

Anyone?

Someone really needs to fix this.

I think I can help, but I won't be able to look at this for a few days. In the meantime, make good, safe copies of everything to a backup folder. Maybe even to another computer.

All should be well. I have dumped, deleted and restored specific conversations from this database before, and I am familiar with its tables and their schemas. If you're tech savvy and ambitious, I encourage you to familiarize yourself with the sqlite3 command line tool. It will play a big role in the restoration.

Last edited by daperl; 2010-11-18 at 06:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I think I can help, but I won't be able to look at this for a few days. In the meantime, make good, safe copies of everything to a backup folder. Maybe even to another computer.

All should be well. I have dumped, deleted and restored specific conversations from this database before, and I am familiar with its tables and their schemas. If you're tech savvy and ambitious, I encourage you to familiarize yourself with the sqlite3 command line tool. It will play a big role in the restoration.
I'm familiar with the use of SQLite. Are these files standard SQLite databases, i.e., there's nothing non-standard? If yes, then instruction applicable to SQLite, will directly apply to our concerns.

I'm curious to know, what specifically, causes the behavior in the bugs that our concerns point to.

Originally Posted by ebzzry View Post
I'm familiar with the use of SQLite. Are these files standard SQLite databases, i.e., there's nothing non-standard? If yes, then instruction applicable to SQLite, will directly apply to our concerns.

I'm curious to know, what specifically, causes the behavior in the bugs that our concerns point to.
Yes, this is just a standard sqlite database. I'm not familiar with the SMS problems. Since PR 1.3, I've only been using Conversations for IM, and I haven't had any issues. Sorry.

Anyway, the most important piece to the merge puzzle is making sure the 'Events' table primary key ('id') is unique across both databases. And there's more than one way to make that happen.

Okay guys, give me a chronology of the problem with as much detail as you feel is necessary. Also, run this command for all databases of interest and post the output with good labeling:

Code:
sqlite3 <db file name/path> 'select max(id) from Events'

Hello guys, for anyone that interests, I made a small PHP script that do some kind of early merging of multiple el-v1.db. But the N900 gets unable to manipulate the resulting DB, since it isn't according to the DB itself way of use. It needs some caching (on the GroupCache for example) that I haven't done yet. Some research is needed before, including direct intervention on the DB. Have fun.

http://pastebin.com/R1eBqVNT