hello, just got a n800 about a week ago and am trying to upgrade to os2008. I'm following the instructions through the update wizard and get to the part where I need to press and hold the home key and switch on the device. My device just boots up as normal, tried it alot of times. I never see any USB logo at all. I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, or maybe my device is bad? The home key works as it should when the device is booted up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I believe you have to have the N800 plugged into a working USB port before you press the key combination. It worked fine for mine when I did the upgrade but, I just tried it without the cable plugged in and it just boots into the OS.

Yes, I did have it plugged in to usb port before pressing the key combination. Thanks for your reply

Although I use the Linux flasher, I usually start up my n800 for flashing by plugging the power cable in. This replaces all the special button pressing. Make sure you have the wizard ready, the device switched off and the usb cable connected before plugging the power in, and you should find the update starts.

Hope this helps.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Does Windows detect the N800 when you plug it in normally with that cable? You may have a defective cable.
I just did some testing on my Windows box, and I have confirmed that the driver has to be loaded and Windows must recognize the device and it must be plugged in to a working USB cable to enter the USB mode. BTW, I'm just assuming you are using Windows.

Hi, here's the short instructions what I have been use.

1. Power Off the device
2. Connect your device to the PC (by using USB connection)
3. Power On the device by pressing Home key and then Power key.
4. Now you should be able to see the USB connection icon in the right hand corner.
5. If you cannot see the icon then there must be something wrong in USB connection or device itself.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I actually had this same issue when trying to flash my N800 from a Windows box. It was maddening and probrably had something to do with the USB driver.

Anyway, I was too frustrated to debug it, so I just flashed from a Linux box. It's really much easier, IMO.

If you don't have a Linux box, just download a linux boot ISO like Knoppix. Their free and you can boot from it into a Linux environment that's more than capable of running the Nokia update utility.