Active Topics

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Puerto Rico
So i've been wondering if there are any other phones out there with a full gnu/linux OS like maemo. i know android is linux-based, but you're limited to what you can do because it doesn't have all the gnu tools (at least, that's how it's been explained to me).
in other words, what i really want to know is, are there any other cell phones out where i can bust out a terminal like xterm and get down and dirty as if i was on any other gnu/linux OS?
so far, the only one i've heard about is the n900.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i'd be interested in this, too. after all, the fact that maemo is a reall gnu/linux system was the only reason why i bought the nokia 770... and kept buying maemo products ever since.

as you say, i don't think of android as a gnu/linux based operating system, because hardly shares anything with my desktop except for the kernel.

so what i'd like to know is: is there any system other than maemo that's based on what i have installed on my laptop/desktop? how about webos? i hear it has some of the well-known friends like upstart, gstreamer, pulseaudio.... how does it compare to a standard desktop distribution?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Short answer: OpenMoko Freerunner, htcdream, palmpre, aava mobile.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
Short answer: OpenMoko Freerunner, htcdream, palmpre, aava mobile.
openmoko is the only correct answer you gave.

the dream is running android (which is not gnu/linux, as the OP correctly wrote)
palm webos isn't gnu/linux either, just the kernel and a custom web runtime.
the aava mobile is a development platform, not a product. (although it's true that it runs a gnu/linux, in the form of MeeGo )

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Even shorter answer: Not really (besides maybe the Aava)... Yet...

Have You seen the OpenMoko FreeRunner???!

HTC Dream - Android.

Palm Pre - WebOS.

Aava Mobile - True...

Waiting for N9...

EDIT: You beat me to it SubCore...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-11-12 at 11:46.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I wonder if Aava has any traction? Web site has little in last 6 months and they are meant to release a commercial device in 2011. Looks good tho'

Edit: thanks both for revealing the Aava

Last edited by handaxe; 2010-11-12 at 12:08.

If you want to hack around OpenMoko is really cool, but be warned, the hardware has some quality issues and the software lacks finish and direction. I've gt one, but it's been gathering dust since I have an N900. Things might be better now, but for me it never was very usable as a day to day phone. (And then the USB connector came loose, so I couldn't charge it anymore, that didn't help either.)

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by AVee View Post
... OpenMoko ... (And then the USB connector came loose, so I couldn't charge it anymore, that didn't help either.)
OpenMoko and n900 are clear evidence that linux based phone OSs are bad for connection solder

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Puerto Rico
so besides, the openmoko phone, the only other cell phone that runs full gnu/linux will be the n9 running meego??

hmm... well i hope it comes out quickly then. i was just wondering because i know the n900 is 1 year old now, but i don't want to get another phone unless it can do what the n900 can do at least..
android phones are pretty cool, but a full gnu/linux OS on a phone is cooler..

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Neo FreeRunner has USB OTG, quite sensitive screen and IMO a bit more precise GPS (but getting a cold lock takes quite a time). Most Neo distros also have a rolling release (no "where is PR X.Y ???" threads ), recent package versions (Python 2.6, kernel 2.6.34 with KMS, new Enlightnment libraries) and pretty much everything is open source. Well, even the hardware (complete schematics for everything are available) so there are quite a few hw mods. Like a navigation board that adds a 3D digital gyroscope, a magnetometer and a pressure sensor FreeRunner has been also send to space, twice.

But there are severe usability issues, as mentioned earlier. They are also unlikely to be completely solved, as FreeRunner users switch to more modern (and usable ) devices.

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-11-12 at 23:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: