Active Topics

If I leave my N900 idle for a while, the phone would lock the device. But the screen would stay on, showing the "Enter lock code" screen and it would stay on forever. I can only turn off the screen when I slide the sliding button. This started to happen recently. Reboot would not solve the problem. Any idea what's going on?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Check display settings and see what the time out on your screen is set to as a starter: It shouldn't be more than about 2 minutes.

In display settings, I set Backlight time-out to be 30 sec, and checked "Lock screen automatically" and "Power saving mode".

If I leave my N900 idle for a while, the phone would lock the main screen. I can only turn off the screen when I slide the sliding button.But i can also click menu and it works fine but the icons widgets on the main screen won't work. This started to happen recently. Reboot would not solve the problem. Any idea what's going on?

Originally Posted by vistaforever View Post
If I leave my N900 idle for a while, the phone would lock the main screen. I can only turn off the screen when I slide the sliding button.But i can also click menu and it works fine but the icons widgets on the main screen won't work. This started to happen recently. Reboot would not solve the problem. Any idea what's going on?
Yeah, sometimes I see that icons on main screen would not respond. But usually rebooting would solve this problem.

The sleeplessness of the display is a big problem for me. If I forget to turn off the screen manually, the battery would drain quickly and the phone can't not last the whole day.

Anyone can help?

Ok, after playing with the Display settings, like changing the "Backlight time-out" and "Lock screen automatically", this problem went away.

Weird, but worked.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Originally Posted by ddwalker View Post
Yeah, sometimes I see that icons on main screen would not respond. But usually rebooting would solve this problem.

The sleeplessness of the display is a big problem for me. If I forget to turn off the screen manually, the battery would drain quickly and the phone can't not last the whole day.

Anyone can help?
Try this the next time you icons on desktop stop responding.It usually happens when hildon-home stops responding to touch.

Code:
#NOTE: Killing the hildon-home process can erase all widgets and that is why it is disabled
#killall hildon-home
You might try experimenting with following command (ran as user, not root):

Code:
/usr/sbin/dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home && /usr/sbin/dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-home
This is "clean" way of restarting hildon-home (could be also used for other system processes, not sure) and will keep widgets in place.

Could some one tell me what the function of the Power Saving Mode is display settings is?

thanks