Active Topics

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Greetings folks, lets get this out of the way first, I'm not looking for the best bluetooth/etc/wired/whatever headset for my N900, this has been discussed umpteen times and I already have a good idea of what I'm planning... I just need a sounding board and seeing if other minds have other thoughts/suggestions for me.

Since buying my N900 I have been swapping between the included Nokia headset/earbuds & mic for making calls on the road, and using my Philips SHE 9500 earbuds while at work to listen to music and making calls with the built-in mic on the N900 itself.

I've been running into the problem of the cords on both sets being to long and just getting in the way. The Philips have a nice feature where the cord has a shorter cord built-in and it would work well with the BH-214 which I may be buying in the next week. I was considering buying a new set of full-ear (circumaural) headphones to use with the BH-214 as a swap-out when I get tired of using the ear buds, or if I just want to have better sound quality. I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD515's or maybe the 280's as an option, but they have such a long cord, not sure if I should go that route.

My issues are work/exercise related. I work in a large data center as an engineer (tech) and spend a great deal of time working on machines or walking all over the data center performing various tasks. I often use my headphones to block out the fan noise, I don't usually ever crank the volume up beyond 70% on the N900 while at work, and if I'm working on sensitive equipment, I'm in a quieter room, at work benches and have my headphones draped over my neck keeping them out of the way. In the evenings I go for a 2-3 mile walk, using both the pedometer widget and the media player to just zone out as I walk, and if need be I make calls along the way (using the default nokia headset, this will get replaced with the BH-214 for the ease of answering calls and track switching).

My main question... does this sound like a decent track to go for headphones, or has anyone done this and just gave up, went with a full bluetooth headset for both music and calls, eliminating the cords all together? What did you do and why?

(I plan to make purchases off Amazon, still have some discounts and gift money on there to burn)

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
My problem was simular in some ways, when I'm at my desk at work I found my cord was never long enough to leave my N900 charging on my desk. So I got some long corded headphones, then when I had to get up from my desk I had to either changer out headphones or end up with any extra 2 feet for cord dangling around as I walked to printer or other places. I had been considering bluetooth headphones for a while and my wife got me a pair and not only did it solve my issue of which head set to I use for which option it also solved 2 other problems.

First since I never used Nokia headset I always had to unplag to talk to someone. Second when I get up to go to printer or somewhere else I don't even need to think about my N900 just leave it on the desk and walk away, I work in a reinforced cement vault and I was surprised even though cell phones don't work here I can walk the the door and get a few feet before I lose signal. Vault is about 55 Feet square.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
My main question... does this sound like a decent track to go for headphones, or has anyone done this and just gave up, went with a full bluetooth headset for both music and calls, eliminating the cords all together? What did you do and why?
I just posted this in answer to another message elsewhere but it's relevant to your question: I use my N900 with Sennheiser noise cancelling cans via a Jabra BT3030 Bluetooth dongle. They cut out a lot of background noise in our noisy office. (but I guess any in ear buds would work also).

The dongle takes care of answering calls (it has a mic) - the music pauses during a call. The Jabra fwd/back/pause buttons control the N900 media player OK.

An added benefit is that I can leave the N900 in its pouch. Works well for me and sound is good.

Rgrds

F

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
i also have an N900 and a BH-214 headset, and work as a tech in a datacentre. I also use the combo when cycling and walking the dog.

i find that all round the comination is a winning one. I found that the range is outstanding, and the audio quality spot on. I can cheerfully leave the N900 on the desk and walk around the dept, and the music keeps playing.

I have a full pair of bluetooth headphones, and the bh-214 is much better. it's lighter, more compact, and i find being able to clip it to an itme of clothing is great.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
I use Zagg smartbuds. Out of all the cheap ones I tried none worked or they worked only on one side. The Zaggs work although you have to plug them in and then unplug them a few times before the N900 recognizes that a headphone has been plugged in. They hang on your shoulders and do not fall off. Although to tell you the truth I have not used it in phone mode since I use my E71 for calls and my N900 does not have a SIM card installed.
Good Luck ! P.S. They are perfect for workouts as they hang on your neck and do not fall like the others, check out their web site Zagg Smart buds. They are very adjustable and very sturdy .

Last edited by louiegoat; 2010-11-09 at 20:57. Reason: add last line

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Get a bluetooth headphones A big one or an ear buds one.

Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
Greetings folks, lets get this out of the way first, I'm not looking for the best bluetooth/etc/wired/whatever headset for my N900
To be honest I'd look at the noise-cancelling BH-905s. Excellent value for money, and work reasonably well for both music and voice with the N900.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Well, got my BH-214, I'm just astonished at how light it is. I clipped it to one of my hanes undershirts and tested it out, with my Philips headphones it was like I had nothing on my neck at all.

Works well, synced with no problems. Still need to try it out on my walks and doing weights.

Damn amazed at the sound quality, and the quality of calls is great.