Notices

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
I've tried Sygic 9 and it's pretty good, but I know there are more. I haven't tried the rest. I tried Sygic 10 and it keeps crashing and made my N900 suck balls. So, in your opinion, what is the best navi app for N900?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I bet that sygic 10 crashing is not normal behavior. And what I have understood is that sygic is the best of all. All the "navigation" apps in maemo.org are IMO nice to toy around apps but I would never use them in serious sense :|

I use Mappero a lot, but you need an internet conenction to get the routing from Google. There is a way to get spoken direction using eSpeak (but they don't sound very good). Sygic is also nice, but has its price. The only thing I am missing in Mappero is a decent artificial voice.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I use Maep or Mappero usually.

Don't like Sygic

Geeps is coming on Strong as is CloudGPS

Ohh, then there's ModRana.

I guess I use everything Except OVI and Sygic!

No data plan here so I just find the destination before I leave the house (or work, whatever).

I use Ovi because I don't want it to crash or hang, and also because I pre-downloaded the entire USA to it so I don't have blank spots half way through my trip.

I tried Mappero but it hung and the speaking was awful. It would make a short, garbled noise then finally tell me it was my exit after I'd already taken it. Then there's the map-downloading issue.

CloudGPS looks awesome, really! But it isn't much use to me if I want to look at where I'm at when I'm on the road, because I don't know how to preload maps.

Looked into ModRana one time, and I was hopeful because it just looked better and easier to use while moving, but again, how do I preload the maps. Plus I think it crashed or something.

Geeps and Mappero are by far my favorites and the only two that have actually been useful out and about.

Geeps in looking like a sure winner even in its early stages. Its very intuitive and gets results in 3 clicks,

Last edited by jaimex2; 2010-11-02 at 22:28.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Ovi Maps, Mappero, Sygic.....

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
Right now Sygic 10 can go to hell. It doesn't even find a signal in my house. I'm a delivery driver so I HAVE to have a GPS that is perfect. I had Sygic 9 and I don't know why I had to mess with it and uninstall it. How do you pre-download Ovi Maps anyway?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bondage Monkey View Post
Right now Sygic 10 can go to hell. It doesn't even find a signal in my house. I'm a delivery driver so I HAVE to have a GPS that is perfect. I had Sygic 9 and I don't know why I had to mess with it and uninstall it. How do you pre-download Ovi Maps anyway?
I see weird things here.

If you bought sygic 10 then oh please contact them. Give feedback, be sturdy and demand for support but do not be too impolite Also remember that you are able to brake(might make e.g. sygic unusable) your device by installing experimental stuff from maemo.org (testing & devel).

If you are delivery driver and you rely on GPS then for sure you should buy dedicated GPS device that are IMO still far ahead any smartphone GPS software or their usability. At least they have offline maps and usually very very effective GPS chip. Why you need signal inside your house?

And about downloading maps. Please use search here and I´m pretty sure that after 3s googling you would have found this:
http://maps.nokia.com/services-and-a...maps/downloads

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
sygic gets the vote for me. the problem with using something like google for routing is it usually doesn't calculate the best route to a place (or the route recalculation doesn't work or is slow).