Active Topics

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Venezia
Please don't blame me: my 2 weeks old N900 dropped in the water.
Just a few seconds, just the time to realize how stupid I've been, but in the water anyway.
Now, I opened it apart (well, just the battery and the back cover) and let it dry. Everything has been working for a few days, then suddenly the phone signal disappeared.
I obviously reflashed the phone, but obviously it was not a sw problem. And obviously, nokia don't wan't to repair my mobile, since they say that water brings oxyde, which they cant repair.
Now, I completely opened my device, cleaned it with contact cleaning liquid, let the phone dry once again... but nothing changes: I have no cellular network signal.
Searching the net I realized that the only part I could try to replace is the phone antenna (which is something you can change easily).
Does anyone think it could be worth trying?
Does anyone else had my problem?
Does anyone have any suggestion?
Regards...

Is there any chance you are just running it in Tablet mode? Accidentally?

My guess is that just taking the back off and removing the battery has still left water inside ie on the motherboard, and this has caused oxide bridges (water corrodes the metal in the circuit, causing oxide to build-up) its these bridges that cause short circuits. Note this does not happen straight away

I have found removing the battery, and then putting the phone in a box of uncooked rice and then putting it somewhere warm ie an airing cupboard is the bast way to dry it out, the hard part is to leave it there for 2 or 3 days without turning it back on just to see if it works.

when you say "completely opened my device" do you mean you actually unscrewed it, and took it appart to gain access to the mb?

I dont think changing the antenna is going to do anything

The Following User Says Thank You to zenecho For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Lost a Sony Ericsson in the toilet once. Picked it up, flushed it with lots of fresh water (for obvious reasons), took it apart, unscrewed all panels and stuff while wiping and shaking off as much water as possible and let it dry a couple of hours on a radiator (50-60 degrees?). It still works today.

The key point is to take everything apart and get the water out.