Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Canada
sup yall
i have my n900 for like 4 months find that its a GOD PHONE. I have a few questions, i want to now my friend told me that he saw a n900 using android, is it true? or is it a site you go on and it kinda looks like it? and if their is can you guys give me step by stem instructions for it, I'm not very sure how to use x terminal. Please tell me the consequence of it. i treat my phone like my supra, with love and care.(till this day not even one scratch!!!!
Yes i know i just made a maemo account, no excuses! i know i know, i was REALLY busy working on my car. I got to say, the camera is fking amazing not going to lie. So n900 gods, can you tell me if their is android on n900 and if so how to install? Thanks a load guys!!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Yes, there is Android for the n900, it's called NITDroid. Use the search function to find a pile of threads. The latest version has an automated installer. It is, sadly, a bit broken.

However, if you are not keen on the command line, I don't know whether such an adventure is a wise idea to begin with.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
will it break my phone?

As anthonie said, search through the Nitdroid threads and go to the Nitdroid forum too

However, Android for the N900 should not be considered as a replacement OS, nor is it ready for the end user. The two big issues with Nitroid are poor power/battery management and NO Voice calling ability.

If you are not confident with using Xterm, then it might be best to not install Nitroid at all as even using the Auto installer will still require you to open the shell at some point.

If you do decide to go ahead, please read ALL and the whole of the previous threads as most problems you may have, will already be answered.

Welcome to TMO too

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Alright thanks one more question, is their going to be 1.4 and dual boot for meego? or is nokia giving up on maemo

guys, i found a application that changes the notification light of the n900, when i press ok it says it might brick my phone, im scared and one more question, will the lights ever burn out? like when its done charging, their is a green light always on and im scared that it will burn out.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
I recommend doing a quick search for alot of the answers that youre looking for. Ive had mine for almost a year and no led burn out. As far as 1.4 goes, its anyones guess but be happy with the finished feel of 1.3., or wait until Meego.

oh and welcome to the Maemo club( aka "THE BAD NEWS BEARS")

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Before doing anything I strongly suggest you carefully read the Beginner section of the wiki

http://wiki.maemo.org/Main_Page

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Thanks optimistprime. and hellflyer thanks also.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
No need to be scared, at least, not really. It's not thát easy to break your device. But as mentioned before, it does take a bit of knowledge and there for reading up first is a prerogative.

Start with the beginners wiki that HellFlyer linked. After that, make alteration slowly, that is, one by one, so you'll know where something went wrong if something goes wrong.

On the terminal, I have two places for you to get started:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Terminal#Using_the_terminal

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63052

Even though it might look intimidating at first, I strongly encourage you to get acquainted with it, as it will help you detect problems.

If you run into problems, come to the board here. Do not forget to past your error messages if you are looking for help, as they greatly improve chances of geting things solved.

Enjoy playing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:

Tags
search no, worky