Active Topics

Been rambling down the path of learning... some progress, some failures.

I got QT creator working on my Mac laptop but found out that native N900 development really needs a linux box.

It appears that scratchbox install scripts won't work right on my fedora 13 server. Scratchbox needs dpkg and Fedora's package manager has the following to say about dpkg:

"dpkg and dselect will certainly be non-functional on a rpm-based system because packages dependencies will likely be unmet."

So I'm screwed... I made enough mistakes setting up this box that I am willing to wipe and reload. Kubuntu is an obvious choice.

Some questions for the more knowledgeable folks:
Has anyone made Fedora work for a dev platform?
I thought Meego was RPM based? How is that going to work if all the build tools are deb based?
What distribution will be Meego compatible? Will I be facing the same issue in reverse with Meego development?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
native N900 development really needs a linux box.
"Really native" development (porting GNU/autoconf software, kernel modules, Gtk+ applications, etc.) needs a Debian box (or a Debian virtual machine).

Qt development should be fully doable from Windows / OS X.

Meego apparently supports Fedora 32 and 64 bit development after some poking.

I just want to do some basic bluetooth stuff. I got os X QT development working great. But there is no native bluetooth support so I want to do a simple rfcomm project that links against BlueZ. But the development wiki for linking in 3rd party libraries is blank... Trying to figure it out.

David

Disclaimer: I don't have a N900 and do not have a Maemo5 scratchbox install. Nor have I played with any Meego dev kits.

Additionally I haven't played with GUI programs within scratchbox, QEMU is problematic. Best to majority of coding using gedit in Fedora, then move those files into scratchbox and do minor edits. Then compile in scratchbox and test using the device. (Scatchbox is NOT an identical environment as the device, nor is Scratchbox identical to Autobuilder/Cauldrin. They are simply "compatible" environments.)

HOWEVER, I DO have a Maemo4 scratchbox install up and running in Fedora 13.

The following are my notes to myself:

How-To Install Maemo4 Scratchbox in Fedora 13
WARNING: This will use over 2.5 GB of /

Code:
$ su -
# wget http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/4.1/maemo-scratchbox-install_4.1.sh
# chmod +x maemo-scratchbox-install_4.1.sh
Code:
# echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled
# echo 0 > /selinux/enforce
# ./maemo-scratchbox-install_4.1.sh -s /scratchbox
TAKES AWHILE
Code:
# /scratchbox/sbin/sbox_adduser linuxeventually
Add user linuxeventually to group 'sbox'? [yes/no] (yes): yes
Scratchbox user account for user linuxeventually added
REBOOT

Code:
$ su -
# wget http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/4.1/maemo-sdk-install_4.1.sh
# chmod +x maemo-sdk-install_4.1.sh
Code:
# /scratchbox/sbin/sbox_ctl start
# echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled
# echo 0 > /selinux/enforce
# ./maemo-sdk-install_4.1.sh
* Press space/more three times, then enter
* Choose option 4
* Yes to install Nokia binaries
* Continue (downloads a bunch of stuff)
* Press space/more 13 times, then type: I accept and enter

Code:
Installation was successful!
Happy hacking!
Code:
$ /scratchbox/login
> fakeroot apt-get install maemo-explicit
> exit
----------------

Code:
# startsb() { echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled; echo 0 > /selinux/enforce; /scratchbox/sbin/sbox_ctl start; echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr; exit; }
Code:
# export EDITOR=nano; visudo
%wheel        ALL=(ALL)	NOPASSWD: ALL
linuxeventually ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/maemosb
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#######################################
###Script saved to /usr/bin/maemosb ###
#######################################
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled; 
echo 0 > /selinux/enforce; 
/scratchbox/sbin/sbox_ctl start; 
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr; 
exit;
Code:
# chmod +x /usr/bin/maemosb
# chmod 777 /usr/bin/maemosb
# chmod u+s /usr/bin/maemosb
Code:
$ msb() { sudo maemosb; /scratchbox/login; }
Code:
$ msb
Starting Scratchbox: binfmt_misc, mount.

Welcome to Scratchbox, the cross-compilation toolkit!

Use 'sb-menu' to change your compilation target.
See /scratchbox/doc/ for documentation.

[sbox-DIABLO_ARMEL: ~] >
--------------
NOTE: Replace all instances of linuxeventually with your Fedora username. If you have questions/problems, I'll try to help.

Don't be afraid of having a host distro other than a Debian-based distro. However do not try to mix in packages or libraries from your host OS. Keep scratchbox stuff in scratchbox.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2010-12-20 at 19:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Fedora 13? I'm running 64 bit but I get errors t one of the very first steps:
# ./maemo-scratchbox-install_4.1.sh -s /scratchbox
downloads a bunch of debs but chokes with an error about reading package status. I have dpkg installed but obviously something is wrong with my dpkg install.

I'm running 32-bit. In my experience unless you have a specific reason to run 64-bit you should avoid it, the performance boost is outweighed by the problems caused by proprietary software (unless of course you avoid proprietary software like the plague).

Secondly you are developing for Maemo5 so you shouldn't be calling that script (the guide I posted was for Maemo4 and was posted as a rough outline). You want: http://repository.maemo.org/stable/5...install_5.0.sh

Third, you may need to run each line manually to track down where the problem lies. Additionally it may help to change the shebang (the first line) from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash -e

Fourth, dpkg installed? You shouldn't have dpkg installed in Fedora.

Fifth, if you screw up your scratchbox install sufficiently you do in fact need a fresh install.

Sixth, this may be of some help: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...l_Installation

And finally if this over your head you may wish to instead use a VMware image: http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/ ( http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php )