Active Topics

I am able to pair my two Bluetooth keyboards (Freedom and FrogPad) fine with my Nokias (770 and N800), but in order to pair them with my Desktops (Windows and Linux) I have to re-pair the keyboards with different pairing codes each time I switch back and forth between my desktops and my Nokias. I can designate and assign pairing codes myself for my Nokia pairings (using the same pairing codes for both), but the Bluetooth software for the desktops assign their own arbitrary pairing codes. This may be an esoteric request, without all that much interest in this forum, but does anyone know of a way to employ the same pairing codes throughout so that such constant re-pairings is not necessary?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I am able to pair my two Bluetooth keyboards (Freedom and FrogPad) fine with my Nokias (770 and N800), but in order to pair them with my Desktops (Windows and Linux) I have to re-pair the keyboards with different pairing codes each time I switch back and forth between my desktops and my Nokias. I can designate and assign pairing codes myself for my Nokia pairings (using the same pairing codes for both), but the Bluetooth software for the desktops assign their own arbitrary pairing codes. This may be an esoteric request, without all that much interest in this forum, but does anyone know of a way to employ the same pairing codes throughout so that such constant re-pairings is not necessary?
It is not matter of pairing codes. Pairing code is just temporary cookie for verifying that both sides know it at the time the pairing is done. After pairing those codes are forgotten. You can't fix this problem by setting same pairing codes.

Once the pairing is done both sides remember each other via their bluetooth address (unique per device) and if link encryption is requested they also remember additional data for the encryption to work.

I guess this problem is caused by the fact that the specific keyboard you tried remembers only one device (for simplicity). Once you pair next the previous one is forgotten.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Fanoush: Thanks once again for a useful clarification, discouraging though it is. Too bad the keyboards can't be propgrammed for use with multiple devices without the necessity for re-pairing (and reconnecting) each time. Oh well, life goes on. Regards, Jim

My BT GPS works with any number of devices (PDAs, N800 etc) after I've paired each of them with the GPS. I believe for this case it's only the PDA/computer/N800 that 'remembers' the pairing, while the BT GPS is happy to provide data to anyone trying to connect to it. I guess in principle a BT keyboard should be able to work the same way, but it sounds like they don't (at least your keyboard doesn't). My BT headset for my phone, on the other hand, can only work with one device (the one it paired with). There's probably a double-pairing (or should I call it two-way pairing) involved there.