Active Topics

Finally after hours of messing around I've cracked it!

Here are the instructions to get iPlayer working on the N900 again...

Step 1: Install the application ‘Hide User Agent’ from the N900 Extras-Devel repositories.

Step 2: Open the N900 SETTINGS and select under Connectivity the ‘Hide User Agent’.

Step 3: Press the 'User Agent' Button, and input the following string without "" quotes

"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1"

Select Ok and then press Set.

Step 4: Restart the Browser and visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer

Voala the Google Android Low quality flash site working on the N900.

Remember if you want to go back to the N900 UserAgent to remove it from the settings menu.

-Update 24/09/2010 23:43 -

PLEASE NOTE: To Access the Ovi Store webpage you have to switch the user agent back to Maemo

My N900 Blog: http://n900critic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by regnighc; 2010-09-25 at 19:00.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to regnighc For This Useful Post:
I Have also managed to get Vodafone Mobile TV Working on the N900, although unfortunately its using the N95 Stream so the quality is pretty low.

Please Note the obvious: this will only work for Vodafone users!

So you can either do this in Microb using the technique above and use this next UserAgent string, or you can do what I did...

Step 1: Install the following apps on your n900, fAPN, Firefox.

Step 2: Use fAPN to create a new APN named WAP (Or Anything)

Step 3: In the settings menu, edit the connection you just made using the following information....

Access Point (Contract): wap.vodafone.co.uk
Access Point (PAYG) : pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username: wap
Password: wap
Gateway (IP) address: 212.183.137.12

Step 4: Open firefox and enter About:Config and hit enter. (If it warns you just agree)

Step 5: Add a New Preference String, Call it general.useragent.override and then input the value below without quotes

"Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/11.0.026; Profile MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413"

click off of the object to save it and then restart firefox

Step 6: Ensure you are connected to the Wap APN you just created then browse to the site http://live.vodafone.co.uk

You will now be on the Vodafone N95 Wap site, Obviously the content like Games and other stuff will not work on your N900 as it is not running Symbian OS but you can use the Mobile TV.

If you are worried that it doesn't work and don't want to buy before knowing then I can assure you it works as I already had a subscription and tested it.

Again its pretty low quality but it works!!

The Following User Says Thank You to regnighc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I would e-mail the iplayer's webmaster to be sure they are aware that the Android version also works for N900, maybe they can add N900's useragent to their detection and feed us the working version without the need for us to mangle our UA.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Thanks alot regnighc i was pissed when i couldn't watch Iplayer last week and now you found a new workaround.Kudos mate. Cheers.

Last edited by bigears5000; 2010-09-24 at 21:32.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Now, for those of us in the US, how do we even get the iPlayer in Firefox? Have you guys already watched the new Sherlock Holmes series?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by DojwqIO View Post
Now, for those of us in the US, how do we even get the iPlayer in Firefox? Have you guys already watched the new Sherlock Holmes series?
I think it is only for residents of UK. To use it in USA you'll need to cheat it by using a proxy in UK... In Fennec type "about:config" into the address bar and filter by the word "proxy", there you can set up your proxy information.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I would e-mail the iplayer's webmaster to be sure they are aware that the Android version also works for N900, maybe they can add N900's useragent to their detection and feed us the working version without the need for us to mangle our UA.
That's a great Idea, I will do that.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I think it is only for residents of UK. To use it in USA you'll need to cheat it by using a proxy in UK... In Fennec type "about:config" into the address bar and filter by the word "proxy", there you can set up your proxy information.
Its Theoretically possible still on the n900, you would need to find a UK proxy to point your n900 connection to, unfortunately the only ones that would really be fast enough to stream bbciplayer are paid for as far as I can find.

I did however manage to watch bbciplayer when I was in Australia once by using a UK proxy that cost me I think about £10 a month, but was a free month trial.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Really big thanks for this!

I've set myself up a personal blog so I can blog about my N900 experience, I've added these finding to the blog and will be putting some other cool things there.

http://n900critic.blogspot.com/