Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What would be involved in getting an ARM based Linux distro to boot on a 770 or n800 for that matter? Just a general brief overview, what problems (many) would be encountered, etc.

Lots of potential problems.

Several distributions exist, but they lack working wireless/sound/etc.

http://downloads.kernelconcepts.de/maemo-oe.txt

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
maybe someone can convince the ubuntu developers to include the IT's in their development of ubuntu mobile

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/07/s...-ubuntu-linux/

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Just to clarify, OE is a build system, not a distribution. It allows you to build your own distribution. I'm not sure what that brings you that sandbox doesn't ...

What had you in mind?

I'm in over my head here, but I guess that the first step would be to replace te closed drivers for the custom chips in the 770. Does anyone know if progress is being made in this regard?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To my knowledge, no ARM based version of Ubuntu exists. I use it on my desktop and love it, so that's too bad. Even without sound, wireless, hell, even touch screen support, I wonder how hard it'd be to get it to boot. They booted Linux on an OnStar navigation system years ago

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
All:

I've been absent for a while and I'm sure everybody has already thrashed the split from Debian.

Reading the thread I tend to ask: What part(s) of Maemo are proprietary (read - no source included) now?

I seem to remember the early Nokia language about the "proprietary yet free to use" parts of the OS...

Was the bolt from Debian due to lack of ARM support from Debian or a drastic more toward Nokia IP?

P

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
To my knowledge, no ARM based version of Ubuntu exists. I use it on my desktop and love it, so that's too bad. Even without sound, wireless, hell, even touch screen support, I wonder how hard it'd be to get it to boot. They booted Linux on an OnStar navigation system years ago
This is a job for... Penguinbait!!! Ta-tadaaah!!!

- Look! up in the sky! It's a bird!
- No, it's a plane!
- No, you fool! It's a flying penguin!
- Aaargh!!! run for the hills!!!

(Moral of this post: "Do you see what too much alcohol does to your brain, Billy?")

I also think that waiting for the new hacker os edition brings us not further. This is like getting alms from nokia, if they are bounteous .

I saw several projects porting gentoo linux or debian based linux to pda. For example gentoo on the NSLU2 router (arm):

http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_on_NSLU2

Mod: That's what I'm fantasizing about... I know Maemo doesn't do the 770's hardware justice. A slimmed down OS would offer much better performance. The 770's form factor is perfect... a hard case, touch screen, pocket sized... ditch the Hildon UI and aside from ARM, a tonne more apps become available with little modification.