As this is a Linux system is it possible to use some intrusion
detection software?
How about the Linux versions of antivirus software like AVG,
Avast, F-Prot, Clamav, Avira AntiVir ?

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Greece
Why use an antivirus on a linux system?

The Following User Says Thank You to Gi0 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There really isn't any for the platform, it seems.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
The main use for virus scanning software on Linux is for those running a mailserver and wants to prevent virus laden email from reaching hapless Windows users.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
the main use for virus scanning software on linux is for those running a mailserver and wants to prevent virus laden email from reaching hapless windows users.
looooooool ..

The Following User Says Thank You to Dany-69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ME2g View Post
What about security on the N900?

As this is a Linux system is it possible to use some intrusion
detection software?
How about the Linux versions of antivirus software like AVG,
Avast, F-Prot, Clamav, Avira AntiVir ?
binary-only versions are out unless the vendor specifically provides maemo builds, source you can try to compile yourself. Anyway antivirus is mostly useless on device like this (though AFAIRecall clamAV package is in repo)

Same for IDS.

See my sig for links with more info.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Actually, there are a number of exploits for Linux that are worth scanning for (and of course, the ones we're not aware of) so it's always worth being at least a little paranoid. The chances of getting infected/hacked on Linux in this way is pretty low because it's just simply not a common enough target and, even if it were, it's still harder to exploit generally because of all the variations of the kernel, drivers, distributions, etc. Operating system monoculture is bad... the very thing Microsoft tried to attack about Linux (maybe you remember the MS ads with the penguin bodies and other animal heads, poking fun at the Linux mutations and kernel customization!) is, in fact, a strength.

That being said, it's still a good thing to use a scanner even though the chances are low that you'll get infected--but you're mainly just trusting that someone isn't targeting your platform, not that it's just that strong.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
You can use iptables with titans kernel. What i miss is a Userland (Application)-based Firewall for Maemo...

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I second that security wise a good firewall software is more useful than an Antivirus software.
I want to see what application is phoning home whereto!

Does anybody know how to block N900 Maemo out of the box connection to mail.lotuslive.com?

IP:8.12.152.72
Port: 993
State: ESTABLISHED

Reverse DNS: 8-12-152-72.mail.lotuslive.com

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by nebel View Post
You can use iptables with titans kernel. What i miss is a Userland (Application)-based Firewall for Maemo...
So, once again, you have to basically do a root-like flash to replace the kernel with a more feature-packed one with more security too? Maemo's kinda lookin' a little more like everyone else here. Except, at least I think Android has iptables already compiled in (mine does, anyway--I played with it a bit). Not sure about WebOS.

But anyway, yeah. I would generally tend to agree as far as priorities go. Is that true that only the Titan kernel has iptables on the N900?

Last edited by danramos; 2010-09-03 at 08:26.