Active Topics

I am currently with T-Mobile, the 3G is fast enough for me to browse the web freely with a few open windows all loading at the same time. My question is, how can I use my N900's 3G on my laptop? Do I have to download an app or something?

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by Dgonik View Post
I am currently with T-Mobile, the 3G is fast enough for me to browse the web freely with a few open windows all loading at the same time. My question is, how can I use my N900's 3G on my laptop? Do I have to download an app or something?

yes, there is an app in ovi store( joiku or something like that) or there is an app in extras testing or devs, that has you use a modified kernel.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
mobilehotspot in maemo.org extras

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
you have several options- USB, Bluetooth and Hotspot. look here

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
MobileHotSpot never worked for me when I first tried it a few weeks ago. Thanks for your help everybody

Last edited by Dgonik; 2010-09-01 at 21:18.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Nokia PC suite + usb cable

MobileHotSpot never worked for me when I first tried it a few weeks ago. Thanks for your help everybody
You need to install and then reboot for Mobile Hotspot with its custom Kernel to work.

On my N900 it worked flawlessly - so flawless - that my 2 coleagues with their shiny new iPhone 4 could log into the N900's hotspot and then do facetime with each other's iPhones.

They literally were amazed that the N900 supported them in what their iPhones don't (over 3G).

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
MobileHotspot has some trouble when there are multiple 3G or MMS connections configured. You may want to try deleting the connections and re-add using fAPN. worth a shot. worked for me.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Philippines and Cambodia
I have it working laptop to N900 to www via 3G
using openSuSE with:

- USB cable with network manager
- bluetooth DUN with wvdial

as mobile hotspot however I can't install power kernel due to kernel conflict with installed packages - thus I leave power kernel attempts and work the a.m. 2 options

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
simply use the official nokia software - it has a internet-mode for exactly the purpose you're looking for!