Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
In case overclocking is capable of harming the N900, how long until we start seeing people reporting their Oc'ed N900 got bricked?

In other words, when will we know if it really is safe to overclock your N900?

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
some people are clocking @over 1ghz they will be the first to fry there cpu's

oc'ing can be safe ish. but oc'ing to nearly 100% cant be safe!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This is the second thread with almost this exact title.

In addition, there is an overclocking thread dedicated to the topic of oc'ing.

(a) No one knows the answer.

(b) I think Nokia will not be supporting the N900 in any way when and if this happens, and I'm not 100% certain this site will exist.

(c) I don't think there is any real evidence that this will EVER happen.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
hm, really? can you provide a link to that other thread?

I know currently no one has reported frying the processor, but i also know that somtimes the damage can't be noticed imediatly, but overclocking most of the time reduces the life of the device; what i wanna know is when will we be able to have confidence it won't reduce the life for a long while, like, when they are expected to fail if they do fail?

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Worcester
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
hm, really? can you provide a link to that other thread?

I know currently no one has reported frying the processor, but i also know that somtimes the damage can't be noticed imediatly, but overclocking most of the time reduces the life of the device; what i wanna know is when will we be able to have confidence it won't reduce the life for a long while, like, when they are expected to fail if they do fail?
How long do you intend to keep this phone? 1 more year or less? maybe 2 at a push?

If you wish to keep your N900 longer don't OC. If, like most people on high end phones you try to keep up with the technology curve and will buy a newer wonder phone/tablet I cant see possible processor wear as an issue.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Nothing lasts forever , I highly doubt people will use this phone more then 3-4 years besides Cortex A8 in different variations ( Apple A4, Samsung Hummingbird ) etc are fully capable of running at 1Ghz so N900 with its 600Mhz can be easily overclocked to 850 Mhz with even somewhat reduced voltages (lv mode in Titan's kernel). Unless you increase voltage insanely high there should not be any hardware problems , not sure about software because it was discussed in other thread if clock is too high some process might give errors skip cycles etc

In summary ,
Overclock and enjoy if you fry yours please post here

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
My issue with OCing is that normally when you see warnings about this sort of thing, it's intended to frighten people away from casually playing around and thus destroying things. However, the sheer number, detailed depth, and intensity of warnings about OCing around here seem to suggest that it's actively dangerous to even have the replacement kernel loaded at all.

In short, the warnings suggest that you're getting less than half-again the performance by burning the candle an order of magnitude more brightly (if not more), and even that can wipe your credit card and slay your first-born child. Why in the hell would anyone do such a thing if the consequences really are that dire?

The only conclusions a sane person can make are that either people are carelessly insane and cheerfully destructive loons who don't mind having $500-600 phones that last three months, OR that things aren't actually as dire as suggested and it's just overstated to scare off the cheerfully destructive loons.

...so, which is it?

just feel your device... Overclock it and observe it. Then you would get the answer yourself. If the device heats up use your knowledge and ask 'will this temperature be able to burn my device' if the answer is no then you won't brick your device through OC. The only problem you would face is burning it. The device won't get tired to death if you OC it.

to get a better gauge of the situation maybe we can ask people to post for how long they have now been overclocking, at what speed, and any problems encountered during that time?

me:
last week i overclocked to 800/125 mhz and had no problems whatsoever.

yesterday i overclocked to 900/125 mhz and thus far no problems whatsoever

can others post the same please.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
First thing that came up to my mind when i saw threads about overclocking was data corruption. And not so surprisingly Igor Stoppa (one of main engineers in n900 power management team) said that they will overclock but there might be data corruption due to the fact that OS is optimized to run on stock speeds.*

So I would say that we might already seen some "half" bricked devices :| People posting threads about camera not writing files or cases where app just stops working or hangs. Of course these might be real bugs but if the user experiencing problems has OC his/hers n900 then I would say to these people "talk to the hand" because there is no reason to waste time on devices that have been gone stress that they were not meant to be used. Or at least i would highly suspect any bug reports from people who have overclocked.

Just search his messages around here and in devel mail list.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post: