Active Topics

I am not a big Linux guy, but in Windows if you want to view other computers on your network and the files they are sharing you just go to "View Entire Network" and if you have permission then your good to go. Is there a command line or a GUI to do that on Maemo?

As far as I know, the N900 does not have SMB support (the protocol used by Windows systems to share files, among many other purposes). Someone would need to port the Samba client libraries to the N900, and then provide a program to browse the SMB network, or alternatively a way to mount the network as a browsable filesystem for use with the built-in file manager.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I like the linux way a tad better, it's more informative : )

@josh The N900 does do SMB.

This assumes you have 'nmap', 'rootsh', and 'smbclient' on your N900, that you are slightly familiar with x-term, and that you know a bit about the network you are connected to - including IP addresses. (Edit: and that you know how to fix the broken samba-common.postinst script - you don't really have to do this, but it'll save you having to read apt-get complaints)

# nmap -sP 192.168.4.0/24 | awk /report/

It'll spit out a list of any IP addresses that were awake and responding to the ping.

eg:
Code:
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.6
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.8
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.14
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.201
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.210
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.220
To find out more information about each computer I'll then use nmap again to do a port scan:

(My NAS for example)

Code:
# nmap 192.168.4.14
Starting Nmap 5.21 (http://nmap.org) at 2010-08-26 19:10 PHT
Interesting ports on 192.168.4.14:
Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
21/tcp  open  ftp
22/tcp  open  ssh
23/tcp  open  telnet
80/tcp  open  http
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
443/tcp open  https
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
515/tcp open  printer

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.16 seconds
Just looking at that jibberish I can see port 139 and 445 are open, so I know there is some Microsoft business happening in there somewhere.

After this I might use 'smbclient' to see what is being shared, in my case my NAS has a user / pass restriction, so your incantation of smbclient may vary to suite your environment.

Code:
dchky:~# smbclient -U dchky -L 192.168.4.14
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Enter dchky's password: 
Domain=[NAS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]

Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	Volume_1        Disk      
	lp              Printer   USB Printer
	Volume_1-1      Disk      
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (DNS-323)

Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	BLINKY               DNS-323

Workgroup            Master
	NAS                  BLINKY
	WORKGROUP            TINGS-MOBILE
From here it's a simple case of mount -t cifs blah blah if you want to mount the remote share directly on the N900.

Anyway... That's how I do it. It might not be quite as easy as point and click, but it certainly is more... interesting... if you're at the mall on free wifi : )

Last edited by dchky; 2010-08-26 at 12:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shoreham
download wizard mounter from the repo's!

I am running this and it allows me to access the Suse samba shares at work and my ubuntu samba shares at home.

Job done

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Raif View Post
download wizard mounter from the repo's!

I am running this and it allows me to access the Suse samba shares at work and my ubuntu samba shares at home.

Job done
This is a good application, but it doesn't seek out remote shares and list them all for you - you have to know they exist first. Job almost done good sir : )

There should be an app for Windows boxes. I don't mind nmap - but I don't know how to mount.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I've been unable to use Wizard Mounter at work on a Samba server with no password, as WM returns that there is a password error.

I've been unable to use WM at home on a Samba share on an Ubuntu box, reason unknown. After clicking mount, the UI disappears. I don't know if it thinks it was successful, or it crashed, or what.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2010-08-26 at 16:19. Reason: typo

Having all that (dchky) in CuteExplorer, gFTP or/and Grsync (GUI) is quite possible and desireable. Someone may want to make feature request.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
I like the linux way a tad better, it's more informative : )

@josh The N900 does do SMB.

This assumes you have 'nmap', 'rootsh', and 'smbclient' on your N900, that you are slightly familiar with x-term, and that you know a bit about the network you are connected to - including IP addresses. (Edit: and that you know how to fix the broken samba-common.postinst script - you don't really have to do this, but it'll save you having to read apt-get complaints)

# nmap -sP 192.168.4.0/24 | awk /report/

It'll spit out a list of any IP addresses that were awake and responding to the ping.

eg:
Code:
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.6
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.8
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.14
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.201
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.210
Nmap scan report for 192.168.4.220
To find out more information about each computer I'll then use nmap again to do a port scan:

(My NAS for example)

Code:
# nmap 192.168.4.14
Starting Nmap 5.21 (http://nmap.org) at 2010-08-26 19:10 PHT
Interesting ports on 192.168.4.14:
Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
21/tcp  open  ftp
22/tcp  open  ssh
23/tcp  open  telnet
80/tcp  open  http
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
443/tcp open  https
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
515/tcp open  printer

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.16 seconds
Just looking at that jibberish I can see port 139 and 445 are open, so I know there is some Microsoft business happening in there somewhere.

After this I might use 'smbclient' to see what is being shared, in my case my NAS has a user / pass restriction, so your incantation of smbclient may vary to suite your environment.

Code:
dchky:~# smbclient -U dchky -L 192.168.4.14
creating lame upcase table
creating lame lowcase table
Enter dchky's password: 

Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	Volume_1        Disk      
	lp              Printer   USB Printer
	Volume_1-1      Disk      
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (DNS-323)

Server               Comment
	BLINKY               DNS-323

Workgroup            Master
	NAS                  BLINKY
	WORKGROUP            TINGS-MOBILE
From here it's a simple case of mount -t cifs blah blah if you want to mount the remote share directly on the N900.

Anyway... That's how I do it. It might not be quite as easy as point and click, but it certainly is more... interesting... if you're at the mall on free wifi : )

you can just use "TinySMB" and its gui.
http://maemo.org/packages/view/tinysmb/
thats what I've been using when im transffering files to and from my N900 coupled with other ways (simplewebserver.jar running on my laptop)

Last edited by chivar; 2010-09-23 at 08:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to chivar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shoreham
Re: "View Entire Network"
There should be an app for Windows boxes. I don't mind nmap - but I don't know how to mount.
There is lookup wizard mounter in the repos, you might have to enable extras.

this will give you a GUI to mount other drives, it does work but if you have large filesystems it takes a long time to index.

I have only tried this on Linux file systems as I dont run windows at home and have linux servers at work!