Has anyone looked into using Dasher for text input on the 770? I've used Dasher on a Pocket PC before and found that it can speed up your text input once you get used to it.

There is Linux source code available on the website.

Also, while on the subject of text input, can the 770 onscreen keyboard be configured for alternate keyboard layouts? (Dvorak specifically).

I've been looking into this (though I'm more interested in using HexInput than Dasher).

From what I've found out, it is doable in principle, though you'd have to replace the built-in method completely (via some shell commands with root access); it's not something you could easily switch back and forth at any time. And nobody has actually done it yet. If I get a Nokia 770 (I'm still thinking about it), I'll certainly give it a try.

As for the built-in keyboard, I've heard that the layout is defined by simple config files somewhere in the system, and so should be easily changed. I use Dvorak too, so I'm with you on that! But I'm sorry I can't provide more details about where to look.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I've asked about the key arrangement several times, in various places including on the maemo-users list, and not learned anything. Where did you hear about the layout being defined in config files? That would be the optimal circumstance, I should think.

Please post if you have any more information about this.

Thx

Roger

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I tried Dasher for about a week on an older Fujitsu tablet and found that, although it does work technically very well, I never got over the feeling that it was somehow unnatural. Mind you, my input method of preference on that tablet is PenOffice

http://www.phatware.com/penoffice/index.html

which recognizes both English and Dutch at above 95% efficiency (at least with my handwriting).