Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52549449@N05/4915160604/

Note I intentionally avoided any specific software. This concept involves producing hardware only, to be purchased in single samples or in bulk by a software/service company and resold with modular components (storage, battery, etc) and software added.

A quick explanation on the sketch: when closed, the screen is facing the keyboard and protected from scratches. To open, you fold it like a laptop. Once open, you can slide it up/down over the keyboard like the N810 and N900. I'm aware of the usability flaw of having "bumps" on the left/right edges-- though I don't know a good solution to it as of yet.

Finally, any ideas on how one might convince some company to build it? :P

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
don't some laptops allow the screen to be moved like that already? Or only like video cameras, swiveling the screen and then folding back?

I can't see how that design would be useful for a laptop. They're too big to thumb-type on...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hum ... from what i see i think you need to learn some common engineering concept.

Where did you put the screen cable ... for example Screen will rotate on a really small axe if you want something thin.

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
don't some laptops allow the screen to be moved like that already? Or only like video cameras, swiveling the screen and then folding back?
I believe you're thinking of something like this, which is all hinges.

Whereas the OP's device looks like the screen is on a sliding hinge. Functionally, they would be very similar. However, the slider would be more convenient for people who want to be able to easily switch between keyboard available or not. It might also be more durable (2 connection points instead of 1).

To the OP, you might be able to get something done at Quirky or WePC (actual WePC site down for maintenance at post time).

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Where did you put the screen cable ... for example Screen will rotate on a really small axe if you want something thin.
Samsung thinks it has a solution.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
The sliding cylinder at the bottom of the screen would have wires inside it. But that's a problem for the engineers who implement it.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France

The most expensive product Quirky's ever made was $80. I somehow don't think their methods will work for something $800...

Here's what I would have submitted if it didn't cost $99:

Problem 1: Most people today have to carry around multiple--even many-- devices in their daily life, which can be inconvenient in many ways. For example, some people save time by leaving their camera at home when they go out if they don't plan to use it. (and as a result buy a phone with a second, much-lower-quality camera)
Problem 2: To create new handheld devices, people currently need the resources of a large company.
Problem 3: There has been no truly usable handheld computer on the market since the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, which is by now far obsolete.

Solution 1: This computer could replace most, if not all, of these devices and appliances. There will be a single device to unplug and put in your pocket when you go out, no need to coordinate data between multiple devices, etc... If being used with a docking station as a desktop computer, you can easily travel between home and work with all your programs open.
Solution 2: By producing only hardware, with certain expandable components modular, there is a free market for branding and reselling these devices with value-added software and services.
Solution 3: By being primarily a computer, this device fills the void left by the SL-C3200.

Key Features:
- high-end multifunction device
- portable desktop computer
- functional handheld computer with keyboard
- 12 megapixel, 5x optical zoom camera with HD video recording
- any-network cellular phone/modem
- GPS with road navigation
- multi-touch pressure-sensitive touchscreen

Yeah, I wasn't too optimistic about Quirky, but thought I'd throw it out there if you hadn't already investigated it.

There are a few handheld computers on the market not though. There's the Sharp Netwalker PC-Z1, which is basically a direct successor to the Sharp Zaurus line. There's even some x86 devices, such as the UMid BZ and the Viliv N5.