Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Hello.
A friend of mine recently show me skype on his Iphone 4. I seed, well I have used skype on N900 for around a halv year now plus Video call from pr1.2. I wasn't impressed.
But then he told how Skype works on iOS4, and that impressed me quite well.
He told me that it works like pushmail.
You log on to Skype and then the Skype goes to "sleep"-mode and not until someone is calling or IM you the application wakes up and you start the conversation. (As long as you have GPRS connection and a live IP address).
By that Skype on iOS4 doesn't consume data and battery other when you actually use skype.

My question, does skype work the same way on N900 as it does on iOS4? Or does skype on N900 operates more like on a regular computer (by that sending status that Im alive and so on)?

I assume skype on iphone is using push notification service

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3576

In my own opinion, the push notification service is a workaround for:

a)iphone lack of multitasking(even with ios4 grand central style)

b)AT&T network congestion

I much prefer the style of n900 background sip,skype, jabber, etc

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post

Yea, might be so. How much battery does Skype on N900 drain when online? Do you have any experience?
Otherwise will will take a week and let my phone idle with Skype online during night and see how much it drains.
I find MSN Messenger drain quite some battery, you cant be online a whole day with normal use without recharge later the same day.

Why? Increased battery life is a plus for iOS. They still can receive messages and voice calls via their method so what do we really gain with the Nokia desktop client model?

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Why? Increased battery life is a plus for iOS. They still can receive messages and voice calls via their method so what do we really gain with the Nokia desktop client model?
The connection from device to skype is just not as good.

Here is a macrumors forum thread on it, if you are interested in the iphone user perspective on the new multitasking enabled skype for ios4

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=973445&page=7

Some of the point mentioned(some are prolly baloney):

Battery consumption is increased
skype won't reconnect when moving between connection types
no notification skype disconnected
playing any other audio disables skype calls
phone get s hot with skype in background
signal level decreases when skype is multitasked
it will not wake up the phone
etc
etc
etc

Last edited by quipper8; 2010-08-12 at 17:54. Reason: adding some of the points from the thread above

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I was online a few days with Skype during the day (on 2.5G) and the impact on battery life was hardly noticable.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

Agree fully Apple is doing it again they comes with a feature and make it looks like they are the first or "doing it better way" and make it look like they have added a new "great feature never seen before" and the Iphone fanboys buys the arguments over and over again . Apple is a joke. Same with Microsoft.

We have seen it before with another stuff like lack of flash (I dont like flash but anyway I hate how apple/microsoft gets mediaattention as soon as they say something media loves them :-(. No one says Iphones lack of working bluetooth headsets. Lack of multitasking on <= IOS3 and so on.

No Iphone fanboy would never confese how bad the phone is. I have seen alot of Iphone people running around at my work and talk how good theyr iphone is cause of "blbablabla apps exists in the store" I just laught at them cause most of the stuff is **** or is already working on N900 in a better/cooler way :-)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-08-12 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Yea, maybe you are right guys, running skype the way its meant might be the best in the long run.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Agree fully Apple is doing it again they comes with a feature and make it looks like they are the first or "doing it better way" and make it look like they have added a new "great feature never seen before" and the Iphone fanboys buys the arguments over and over again . Apple is a joke. Same with Microsoft.

We have seen it before with another stuff like lack of flash (I dont like flash but anyway I hate how apple/microsoft gets mediaattention as soon as they say something media loves them :-(. No one says Iphones lack of working bluetooth headsets. Lack of multitasking on >= IOS3 and so on.

No Iphone fanboy would never confese how bad the phone is. I have seen alot of Iphone people running around at my work and talk how good theyr iphone is cause of "blbablabla apps exists in the store" I just laught at them cause most of the stuff is **** or is already working on N900 in a better/cooler way :-)
woah, I was not trying to start one of 'those' threads, just saying in my own opinion i prefer the way maemo 5 connects to skype vs how ios4 does it.

as was pointed out, there are some possible benefits to how ios4 is doing it.

I think I was wrong though in thinking that skype is using iphone push notification service and is just trying to maintain the connection in the app itself.

iphones are great for what they are. I have bought my wife three already over the years and my mom has one too. That is the best thing for them and I don't mind spending money on it despite my philosophical objections to the apple ecosystem

Last edited by quipper8; 2010-08-12 at 18:12.

Some of the point mentioned(some are prolly baloney):

Battery consumption is increased
skype won't reconnect when moving between connection types
no notification skype disconnected
playing any other audio disables skype calls
phone get s hot with skype in background
signal level decreases when skype is multitasked
it will not wake up the phone
etc
etc
etc
Yikes. My only issue with Skype is that it sucks up battery power. I certainly would choose that over the iPhone issues assuming they're not bogus. I am having a problem with Skype over 3G where 2G actually is clearer, but hopefully that gets resolved in PR 1.3.